Using Verizon iPhone as an iPod

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheMacBookPro, Jun 18, 2011.

1. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Hey all,

I might be getting a Verizon iPhone from a friend who's decided that he doesn't want to have a data plan and switch back to a dumbphone. Thing is, I live in Hong Kong so I can't activate it and use it as a phone.

I'd like to use it as an iPod, and maybe as a GPS device (with the maps preloaded obviously).

So my question is- if I restore the iPhone, what will happen? Will it just prompt me to activate it on vzw's network? If so, is there any way to get past this (redsn0w?)?

I've done a search and only two posts were relevant- one person said that using a JB program was enough to get past the activation screen (is this true? never had to do this since both my iPhones are factory unlocked) and another said that you have to sign up with verizon to get past the activation screen.

Thanks!

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Not sure how the Verizon iPhones work but the ATT ones u can bypass the activation process by jailbreaking and using the hacktivate option.

3. TheMacBookPro thread starter macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-hk; GT-I9100 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Ah okay thanks. I guess my question is now 'can you hacktivate a Verizon iPhone?'

4. YungMoola94 macrumors regular

You will be able to use it as a iPod dont worry!! all you have to do is just upgrade it to the latest firmware and jailbreak with snowbreeze

5. TheMacBookPro thread starter macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-hk; GT-I9100 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Alright, thanks for the replies :)