Using Verizon SIM with AT&T (Rogers) iPad (3)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 3rdparty, Apr 5, 2012.

1. 3rdparty macrumors newbie

Lots of talk about how the Verizon iPad 3 will work with an AT&T micro-SIM, however I'm curious if the reverse is also true.

I have a Canadian (Rogers, Bell, Telus) iPad 3, which I understand to be the same as an AT&T iPad, and am going to the US. I'd like to have access to the Hotspot feature, and am hoping that I can buy and use a Verizon micro-SIM and it'll work on my iPad 3.

I suspect I'd have to manually add the Verizon APN settings to get it to work.

I'm aware this won't support LTE on Verizon, but I'm perfectly ok with 3G speeds for iPad data and the Hotspot.

2. Dangerous Theory, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012

Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Good luck with that, CDMA technology doesn't use SIM.

EDIT: Turns out LTE isn't CDMA. My mistake.

3. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Err...Yes it does. LTE enabled CDMA accounts use a Sim card. I know that and I'm in the UK...

4. Dominic49 macrumors newbie

cdma ≠ lte

5. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

NO, a Verzizon SIM will most definitely NOT work in an ATT iPad but an ATT sim will work in a Verizon iPad on HSPA+. It's been tried.

6. 3rdparty thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you have a link or any additional information on where it's been tried?

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I believe this is correct.

8. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

It's been tried and reported on this forum the same day these were released. No, I can't provide a specific message now and I don't plan on searching for one. ;) It's either "believe it or don't" or search the board here or try it for yourself. But it has been tested just as the reverse way around was.

9. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

SIM is optional in CDMA. Verizon only started using it for LTE phones, to provide one single authentication method.

Now, as for the question - the Global/AT&T iPad radio firmware doesn't support CDMA or Verizon band LTE. Not gonna happen :(

10. goudok macrumors member

I have an LTE ipad that i bought off someone that was brand new and came with a verizon sim card so that must make it a Verizon ipad. I put my Rogers LTE sim card and LTE works perfectly fine. So all the comments that it wont work are complete BS, and since Rogers LTE is the same as ATT LTE i believe if you insert an LTE activated ATT card into Verizon ipad LTE will also work. Which brings me to conclusion the ipad is exactly the same for verizon and att.
    You just need an LTE sim card and LTE enabled on your account. I had to change my sim cards and call rogers to activate LTE to get it working.

11. profets macrumors 68040

Are you 100% certain it was a Verizon LTE iPad that you got? The LTE band included in the Verizon iPad is different than the AT&T/global iPad.