Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tboneh08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2005
USA
Hey... I was just curious if using a VGA monitor on a Mac Mini made the display any less "clear" that just the fact that its not DVI... Sorry if that isnt clear... im in a loud room full of people... :eek:

Thanks!

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
tboneh08 said:
Hey... I was just curious if using a VGA monitor on a Mac Mini made the display any less "clear" that just the fact that its not DVI... Sorry if that isnt clear... im in a loud room full of people... :eek:

Thanks!
My mini looks much better on DVI than VGA using the same monitor. I am not sure if its the monitor or mini that suck at VGA. Maybe its both.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Speak up.... we can't hear you :D

Yes, the VGA output is noticeably dimmer and less sharp than DVI... this is partially inherent in the VGA format, and partly because the Mini doesn't seem to drive the analog signals to a high enough level for some monitors.

Choose a DVI-equipped LCD monitor if you can.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
DVI > VGA as far as picture quality goes (at the consumer level).

So yes, a VGA display is not as sharp as a DVI display. VGA is analog, and signal noise can cause distortion or artifacts.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch. And CanadaRAM is right - the Mini and VGA don't always play nice to gether. It's best to get a DVI flat panel display.

My brother has a 1.42GHz Mini connected to a cheap 19" LCD flat panel from Microcenter. It is VGA-only but seems to work fine with the Mini. However, many VGA displays don't work so well.

tboneh08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2005
USA
Oh...

I just wish there was some way of trying out a monitor to see if it would work... i dont want to have to shell out $250+ if i dont absolutely have too. I don't really do anything extravagant, and mainly just browse the web/check email/do schoolwork. I wonder why it is different than using a VGA monitor on my PC... :confused:

Thanks...

NYmacAttack

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2005
NY
tboneh08 said:
I just wish there was some way of trying out a monitor to see if it would work... i dont want to have to shell out $250+ if i dont absolutely have too. I don't really do anything extravagant, and mainly just browse the web/check email/do schoolwork. I wonder why it is different than using a VGA monitor on my PC... :confused:

Thanks...

For simple stuff like that you shouldn't see any major difference IMO :rolleyes:

tboneh08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2005
USA
Artifact?

:confused: What's an artifact? lol... (I feel dumb... :p )

Well, im using a VGA monitor now, and i dont see anything wrong with it...

but i am on a Compaq PC w/ XP Home, soooo...

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
tboneh08 said:
:confused: What's an artifact? lol... (I feel dumb... :p )

Well, im using a VGA monitor now, and i dont see anything wrong with it...

but i am on a Compaq PC w/ XP Home, soooo...

If it doesn't bother you now, I wouldn't worry about it too much. The issue is (as CanadaRAM pointed out) that many VGA displays look dim when connected to the Mac Mini. I'm not sure if this problem is restricted to VGA CRTs or if analog flat panels are affected too.

Just something to think about.

A screen artifact is very loosley defined as something being displayed on the screen that shouldn't be there. Analog displays suffer artifacts if there is interference or noise in the signal - sort of like when you have a TV hooked up to antenna and it is getting bad reception. You get artifacts.

tboneh08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2005
USA
Ahhh... thanks!

Thanks.... i've seen a lot of talk about "artifacts" but i never knew what they were... so, again... thanks!

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
I'm running my Mac Mini on my old 17" Mitsubitshi Total Flat Monitor (it's not that old but its such a good monitor) and all I can say is that the DVD playback and playing World of Warcraft looks better than running it on my other LCD Monitor.

Personally I think the picture quality, brightness, etc depends on the quality of the CRT or LCD in question, I have seen some great CRTs and some god awful LCD.

And final note I think it's down right stupid spending more on a display for a Mac Mini than the Mini is worth....:D

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
tboneh08 said:

For what it's worth, I'm using the VGA connector MacMini to drive a 21" Sun CRT. I'm running the display at 1600x1200@75Hz but have had it as high as 2304x1728@60Hz.

I originally had some ghosting issues but that was because I was using a cheap VGA cable (this monitor does not have a built in cable). After replacing the cable with a high quality toroidal shieldedcable I've had a perfect picture with no ghosting or artifacts.

Recently I've added a Belkin KVM (VGA/USB/audio) into the video path and still have a clean display image.

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
Yes, I've noticed the mini has worse VGA quality than most other computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.