Using virtual machines for testing past and futures Mac OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by monsieurpaul, Feb 23, 2011.

1. monsieurpaul macrumors regular

Hello,

I would like to install Mac OS X 10.5 and possibly 10.6.7 for testing my apps, but I have only one Mac (MacBook Pro).
    I am already using Parallels desktop for Windows XP and I am quite happy with it. However, Parallels requires to install the server version of Mac OS X for virtual machine (VM).
    - Are there a lot of differences between Server and "Regular" OS X ?
    - Are there a lot of artifacts when using a VM for testing ?
    - Do you recommend another VM

Thank you,

Paul

2. foidulus macrumors 6502a

There are no substantive differences between the server and client operating systems, the kernel, libraries, etc are the EXACT same. The only differences is that the server features a lot of optional services designed for well, servers!

I run tons of vms and have used both VMWare and Parallels, both work, slightly different I personally recommend VMWare, but really either is fine.

Have fun!

3. chown33 macrumors 604

You could get an external HD, partition it into as many different OS versions as you want, then install a bootable OS on each partition. It doesn't have to be a full dev system, a simple configuration would work. Just make an admin and a mundane user account on each partition.

You can also setup one partition's accounts, then copy it to other partitions with Carbon Copy Cloner, then upgrade those partition OSes to higher versions.

I keep multiple OS partitions on every Mac I've ever had. And I've got external HDs with additional bootable OS versions. They all work fine.