Using Vista via bootcamp and have no sound

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GregUofMN, Jun 25, 2008.

1. GregUofMN macrumors regular

Any ideas?

I'm using Vista Home Premium (URGH!) on my MacBook Pro for work purposes and I have no sound coming out of my speakers or head phone jack. Obviously the the sound controls on F3, F4 and F5 don't work on the Vista side, but even when I try to manually control the sound in the Taskbar, it shows that it should be working but it isn't.

Also, has anybody else noticed that there is a red LED light that turns on in the headphone jack spot, when using Vista on their MBP? I haven't noticed that when I'm using OS X.5.

2. amusiccale macrumors 6502

Red light? Am I crazy, or does that mean that it's trying to use the optical out rather than the analog in that slot? I'd say check in Control Panel > WhateverSoundisCalledTheseDays and see if the port is set to optical out.

3. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Why not try XP? It'll run far better anyways.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Have you looked in the "device manager" to see if the driver is installed or if it is reporting problems. There will be an exclamation mark circled in yellow indicating a probelm

Start button > control panel (switch to classic view) > System > Hardware > Device Manager
    this is the XP route but Vista is similar as I recall.

5. RobotEars macrumors newbie

ugh i have the same exact problem
    and there is a red light coming out of the audio jack when im using vista
    im looking for audio drivers cause some people told me that i needed a new driver

i hate vista. its only been problems since i have installed it
    sorry i couldnt help

6. alaskanamber macrumors newbie

Same deal as you all. Actually got me to register for this forum

I've tried all the drivers and still can't get sound out of my MBP even though the little speaker says the Realtek HD audio is functional.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Did you install the Boot Camp drivers from the Leopard disk after installing Windows?

Might want to do that. The red light should go away with them, too.

8. alaskanamber macrumors newbie

I absolutely have installed the proper OSX disc drivers.

I actually had to go find the proper drivers to recognize my 8600 GTM graphics card

Royal pain in the but that my graphics work well now but my sound doesn't

9. PsykX macrumors 6502a

PsykX

Hi, I just got this problem today...

I have a brand new MacBook, and the sound is working fine in the EFI and fine in OS X, it's just in Vista that it's acting up.

Also, even if I plug my toslink cable into it, there's no sound coming from my external speakers either.

I tried the toothpick method and it didn't work. As I said, when I boot into OS X, it's fine. I get the sound that I want...

Can somebody help me, please? :(