Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GregUofMN

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
Any ideas?

I'm using Vista Home Premium (URGH!) on my MacBook Pro for work purposes and I have no sound coming out of my speakers or head phone jack. Obviously the the sound controls on F3, F4 and F5 don't work on the Vista side, but even when I try to manually control the sound in the Taskbar, it shows that it should be working but it isn't.

Also, has anybody else noticed that there is a red LED light that turns on in the headphone jack spot, when using Vista on their MBP? I haven't noticed that when I'm using OS X.5.

amusiccale

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Red light? Am I crazy, or does that mean that it's trying to use the optical out rather than the analog in that slot? I'd say check in Control Panel > WhateverSoundisCalledTheseDays and see if the port is set to optical out.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Have you looked in the "device manager" to see if the driver is installed or if it is reporting problems. There will be an exclamation mark circled in yellow indicating a probelm

Start button > control panel (switch to classic view) > System > Hardware > Device Manager
this is the XP route but Vista is similar as I recall.

RobotEars

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2008
ugh i have the same exact problem
and there is a red light coming out of the audio jack when im using vista
im looking for audio drivers cause some people told me that i needed a new driver

i hate vista. its only been problems since i have installed it
sorry i couldnt help

alaskanamber

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2008
Same deal as you all. Actually got me to register for this forum

I've tried all the drivers and still can't get sound out of my MBP even though the little speaker says the Realtek HD audio is functional.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

alaskanamber

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2008
I absolutely have installed the proper OSX disc drivers.

I actually had to go find the proper drivers to recognize my 8600 GTM graphics card

Royal pain in the but that my graphics work well now but my sound doesn't

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Hi, I just got this problem today...

I have a brand new MacBook, and the sound is working fine in the EFI and fine in OS X, it's just in Vista that it's acting up.

Also, even if I plug my toslink cable into it, there's no sound coming from my external speakers either.

I tried the toothpick method and it didn't work. As I said, when I boot into OS X, it's fine. I get the sound that I want...

Can somebody help me, please? :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.