Using VLC now, can I delete quicktime & DivX player?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bsheridan, Jul 21, 2008.

1. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

I've just downloaded VLC and am wondering if I can delete Quicktime player and DivX player. I'm not sure if they're integrated with each other or not.

thanks, b.

2. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

Don't delete Quicktime! :eek: It is responsible for much more than just playing videos, it's part of the OS.

3. bsheridan thread starter macrumors 6502

bsheridan

That's what I'm unsure about. Wouldn't any videos that play in quicktime just play in VLC now (after having changed the default in 'Get info' to VLC)?

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

you can delete DivX player by searching for "DivX" in Finder's search with "System Files - Included" added and delete the DivX Player appication and its support files/folders from the Library.

QuickTime is a layer in OS X which would be VERY hard to remove and i would advise against it as everything that uses it iTunes, Quick Look etc. would crash. but you can delete the QuickTime Player application if you want which is just an interface to QuickTime. QuickTime Player would then be removed from the open with menu.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Can you delete the app? I always thought that the OS called the app for somethings, not just the framework.

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

funny i deleted QuickTime Player just to check is anything breaks but then i remebered that i dont set Time Machine to back up the system and default applications. everything seems to run fine though and my movies now open in Final Cut Express my default… geez the things i do fo you guys ;)

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Don't be such a Windows user. There is no reason to delete the QuickTime Player--what you call QuickTime--or any other Apple-supplied application or utility. The real QuickTime is much more than just a video player. It is the audio-visual frameworks of MacOS X. These frameworks handle time-based and still graphics as well as audio for all standard MacOS X applications.