Using VMWare (or another vm program)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nosey313, Jan 20, 2008.

1. nosey313 macrumors member

Do I need to buy a new copy of windows? Is there anyway to either use my old PC HD or copy the contents over to my new Mac? I'm going to trash the old PC anyway, so is it technically legal to use my current version of XP? Thanks for any info.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I don't know about Parallels, but VMWare has a converter app for this :)

3. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

There maybe people here that say it's not legal, especially since if that version of XP came with your PC, it's tied to that machine and only meant to be used on it.

However, since you legally bought it, and especially since your trashing it anyway, I'd say it doesn't really matter. You can use it. ;)

You may have some problems with "activating" Windows, though. You'll probably need some kind of code printed on a sticker somewhere on your old PC in order to install it at all, but that's no problem. The problem will be activating it.

There are ways around the activation issue, though. Either legal or illegal. You can search google for ways to "crack" the activation. Alternatively (and slightly more legally) you can call up Microsoft and just tell them you're replaced a bunch of things in your PC (motherboard, RAM, hard drive, etc.) and now it's technically a different machine, and won't let you reinstall XP. They'll give you a new code that will work.

4. Chuckypool macrumors member

i'm pretty sure Parallels can copy over your old PC hard drive too. Not sure whether you need another copy of Windows though for your vm.