Using W7 on my new Late 2011 MBP 15 - poor battery life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by not2secure4u, Jun 22, 2012.

1. not2secure4u macrumors newbie

TItle explains it all. I can probably get about 3 hours and 30 mins max with windows 7 running. Is that normal ? I know windows isnt as efficient as MAC os is but the discrepancy between both seems alot ot me ?

2. not2secure4u thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh yeah, I updated my mac with 16GB of ram and a 128 gb m4 SSD. But that should increase my battery life I think ?

3. Hidendra macrumors member

apple has not provided drivers to allow for graphics switching so it will always be using the discrete GPU (whereas OS X will use integrated most of the time), so yes that is most likely pretty normal ;)

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

For one thing, the MBP's GPU switching isn't supported under Windows as far as I know.

That means that you're always running on the dedicated GPU, whereas in OSX it will switch between the Intel GPU and dedicated GPU to save battery.

I've also always gotten worse battery life while running Windows, even on Macbooks without dedicated GPUs. I find that switching to the 'Basic' theme helps some.

5. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Battery life under Windows has always been lower compared to OS X, mainly due to the lack of/poor optimization. Even on machines with only one graphics card or integrated graphics only.

Then add the fact that your computer will be running permanently on the dedicated graphics since graphics switching is not supported under Windows and that explains the large difference in battery life.

6. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

As they said, its the GPU.

If you're not gaming or running 3d windows apps, you can maybe get better battery life by running windows in a virtual machine, and forcing integrated GPU while doing so with gfxcardstatus.

7. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Bootcamp or virtual system? But yeh like others said it will always be lower then OSX, I run Win7 in Virtual Box so with both OSs running it def drains faster ;) , but that's extremely rare if I use it that way w/o it being plugged in.

8. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

Thats because that MBP will run with discrete graphics on all the time while on Win7.

And I'm sure Apple will not be giving this drivers nor updating drivers very often. Its clear they don't want you to be using Windows.

9. not2secure4u thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats bad then. I use 90% windows OS and sometimes use it for gaming. I probably am better off with a non-mac product then. Although their probably arent any alternatives that are as portable as the MBP.

10. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

There are many, many machines out there if you need Windows. And yes, if you use Windows primarily, you will be better off with a Windows machine. I would recommend a ThinkPad for a great, solid computer. The xx20 models (W520, X320, etc.) have the durable ThinkPad keyboards, and are still available.

Apple just has not put much effort into getting Windows to run seamlessly on Macintoshes. It will run, and is usable, but is just not optimized. Boot Camp drivers will not install on many (older) machines that are x64 capable due to an artificial software check, but if this is bypassed the machine runs completely fine. Vista is locked out using all Lion Boot Camp drivers (not many need or want to run Vista now, but again, an artificial limitation). Most disk controllers run in compatibility mode and do not enable AHCI or TRIM on SSDs, so you do not get the disk performance you should, and they do not have the advanced power management settings that other OEMs include to squeeze out all the battery life possible. Even machines with low end GPUs get poor battery life. Not to mention the poor trackpad scrolling in Windows (works better when running Windows in a VM and using the native OS X scrolling characteristics). The fan will run much more often and the laptop will run much warmer in Windows. I have found that running Windows in VMware Fusion is a good compromise (if you are not gaming) as the performance is very good, you get the Aero desktop, and you get OS X doing the superior power management.

If you don't have VMware Fusion, download the 30 day trial of it and see if it meets your needs. It's a great product. Otherwise, take a look at the ThinkPads.

11. not2secure4u thread starter macrumors newbie

I took a really quick look, those machines look really good but can they handle games ? I want to play some D3 and some older games. D3 does not need to run at max or whatever, I just want a ok gaming expierience like this MBP would provide.