Using warranty at Best Buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Imola Ghost, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

I was wondering if someone knows exactly how those warranties work at Best Buy. If you were to have a problem and take it back to Best Buy and they give you a new laptop, do you essentially loose your warranty on the new item or does it carry over to the new product?

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Any replacement product, regardless of what it is, should carry a new warranty, associated with and for that product.

3. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah but if you use that warranty, do you have to pay the "plan's price" again to carry over the warranty to the new item?

4. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

I would imagine so. The new one will come with the one year manufacturers warranty, but it is unlikely the extended warranty will continue on the new machine. Think of it like the extended warranty subsidizing your new machine.

At least that is how it works in the large electrical company I work for in the UK.

5. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

you can transfer the new warranties so long as it was not used on the last product.

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Depends on if you are talking
    1. manufacturer's warranty,
    2. store's in-house included warranty (above mfr's warranty),
    3. store's extra-cost extended warranty, or even
    4. any credit card extended warranties.

1, 2, and 4 should all start over with new equipment. #3 depends on the warranty terms (and always assume they're not significantly in your favor).

7. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

I found out a little more information about Best Buy's warranty. I have a 3 year warranty on the Macbook and if I were to get this one replaced they would [since its under 1 year] it would transfer over to the new product since it was such a short time period.