Using WD My Book Live with Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MacBrew, Sep 23, 2012.

1. MacBrew macrumors newbie

I bought a WD my book live a little over a month ago and right away I knew I had made a mistake. I should've just gotten a time capsule but I thought I was getting a great deal on the my book live. Unfortunately I'm past the return period and so I'm just going to have to live with it. I've read that since its a network drive it can't be reformatted for mac use but if anyone knows a secret please tell! I've also not been able to "login" to the hard drive as a user, only as a guest. I'm not sure how to go about creating an account or whatever is needed to login to it. I've called WD multiple times and each time they run me in circles with no resolution to the problems. In the end, I'm wanting to use the hard drive as a backup drive used with Time Machine, as a hub for all my movies so I can access them remotely, and to store other files that I hardly need but might at some point. Do I need to partition, reformat, or something else? I mean the obvious answer is throw it out the window, drive to the apple store and pick up a time capsule but unless someone has $300 I can borrow that option is looking bleak. Thanks in advance for any help!

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You don't need an account to use it for Time Machine; just use your web browser to set up the device. Type in the IP address of the device and use the control panel to set it up.

I got one for $120; I think it's a pretty good deal compared to a Time Capsule.