Using WD My Book NAS and Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RWinOR, Sep 11, 2010.

1. RWinOR macrumors 6502

Greenest and wettest place in North America
    I purchased a WD 2T My book NAS and hooked it up to my Airport Extreme. I have an IMac and a MBP. Initially both machines using time machine worked and performed a backup with no issues, other the the length of time it took. This has been working for a couple of weeks with few issues.

Now time machine will not see the drive with either computer. Both computers see the shared portion where I put music and movies.

I have found rebooting, and going into the WD admin tool sometimes helps and it will run for a day or so but I have been unable to get it to work for the past couple of days. There is still over 1.2 TB available on the drive.

Has anyone run into this and how did you solve it? I would like to continue to use time machine and leave the drive on the router if possible.

Thank you in advance.

2. RWinOR thread starter macrumors 6502

Greenest and wettest place in North America
    more information

I have called both Apple and WD both say this configuration is not supported. I have however figured out part of the problem.

I have an airport extreme, the HD is attached to this drive.

I have an airport express set up to extend the network.

When my laptop is closer to the extreme and grabs a connection here time machine works without issues. When I move it away and grab a network connection from the express it cannot find the backup disk through the two wireless routers.

I live in a small home and only extend to help my wife's IMac get to the internet and printers she is a bit far for a reliable connection.

Has anyone had success going through two routers and how did you get it to work?

Is there anyone out there who can help?

Thank you