Using WD My Book World Drives With Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by john120165, Sep 24, 2013.

1. john120165 macrumors newbie

I have two 1tb WD my world drives, these are the original drives with the circle rings, before all the duo models came out. My query is if I reformat them in Mac OS extended journaled style, can I use them with time machine. Currently they are not recognised by time machine and I don't really have a lot of money to by a new WD dual hard drive device Asa. Backup.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

they should work as a time machine if you reformat.
    **important note: the drives will be erased while formatting (you probably know this, but just in case)**

3. opinio macrumors 65816

When you say they are currently not recognised that is because they are NTFS or fat right? If they are currently HFS+ (journaled) and not recognised by TM then reformatting them probably won't help.

You need more details on their current format and why they are not recognised currently. Are you looking to change the format to HFS+ or reformat them to HFS+?

4. john120165 thread starter macrumors newbie

The drives are formatted to work with windows, I can copy and backup files to and from them from the mac. It's just that time machine doesn't recognise the wd drives as valid. I guess I need to format them to apple format but there is no option to do this from within the wd software itself, and no way I can see to get the mac to reformat them either.
    A catch 22

5. Giuly, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013