Using wife's upgrade for my line, Do i need to call in to Activate?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maf2k8, Jun 17, 2010.

1. maf2k8 macrumors 6502

Ok so, My wife is eligible for a upgrade, She is not into the whole iPhone craze, So i upgraded her line and will be using the iPhone 4 on my line.

The iPhone has already been ordered thru ATT ( at 8am day of launch )

Now my question is, When i receive it, I cant simply put my sim card in since they have these new Micro-Sims and if i turn the phone ON, I will assume that it will activate her line, which will deactivate her sim in her current phone?

So my question is, What steps do i need to take once i receive the iPhone?

Do i need to call AT&T and give them the Sim iPhone serial? Sim card number? etc? ( please say it aint so! I do not want to be anywhere near ATT come the 24th, lol )

Do i leave the power OFF on the phone?

Normally ( back in the day, lol ) A new phone would arrive, I would pop out my SIM and put it into the new phone and thats it but i cant do that in this case.

2. Ralzy macrumors member

I'm doing the same thing. When I preordered in store they said to activate through itunes which will deactivate your wife's number and transfer it to the iphone. Next you bring them into an ATT store where they will swap it to your line, deactivate your wife's data plan, and restore her number back to her previous phone.

3. maf2k8 thread starter macrumors 6502

This has to be done in-store?.....Oh man.....lol

I dont see why it couldn't all be done by calling customer care.

GRRRRR

So then i assume NOT to turn the phone on? or should i turn it on and activate thru iTunes so that way its ON when i go to ATT?

4. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

Doesn't have to be done at the store. Notice he said when he pre-ordered in the store, so that's why he was told that. You should be able to call and get it done.

5. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

Same Situation
    Well my idea was activate it on my Dad's line which will deactivate his phone. Then i would get the IMEI Number from his deactivated phone and call AT&T

I would tell them i would like to transfer the iPhone 4 from my Dad's account to my line
    [I would recommend saying you used her upgrade to reduce confusion]
    Then they would ask for the IMEI Number from phone that got deactivated
    Once thats been confirmed, everything should be good to go

6. arom macrumors 6502

I dont think you'd want to activate it before calling ATT. I'd call AT&T before doing anything else and have them transfer it and then sync via iTunes. Then there would be no interuption on the phone you are swapping it with?

7. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek