Using WiFi and Data simultaneously

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by karohan, Feb 7, 2011.

1. karohan macrumors 6502

I am waiting on my iPhone with Verizon. I was just curious about how it handles WiFi and Data. If a configured WiFi network and data are available, will it use the WiFi? And what if I go out of the WiFi zone, will it automatically switch to using 3G? Will I have to manually switch between WiFi and Data each time I leave or enter a WiFi hotspot?

I would like for the iPhone to ultimately use WiFi whenever available and fallback to 3G when it's not.

2. Meyvn macrumors 6502

Yes.

Yes.

No.

That's what it's always done from day one of the iPhone 3G's release, unless you turn off 3G (which increases your battery life).

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, when you connect to a particular wifi network next time you're around that network again it will auto join it. When you're away from wifi or known networks it will fall back to 3G or any type of carrier data connection.
    You wont have to manually switch anything, it will do it for you with no probs.
    Even password protected networks, once you join once it will remember the password and rejoin.

4. karohan thread starter macrumors 6502

Sweet! I figured it'd do that, but just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the replies.

5. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

It really works great. Switching automatically onto known wi-fi networks when in range.

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

the only thing that I think could glitch it is if you are actively streaming something and it needs to switch between the 2. Never tested the theory but that could be the only thing that I could think of.

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I start podcast streams at home a lot and get into the car and drive off and it does seem to hiccup it for a minute while it switches over. Nothing to big a deal though.

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

which would the glitch I was talking about. Not a major issues but actively streaming a file it would glitch as it has to reset. I would not recommend you download some file/app and leave Wifi while it is doing it as you risk corrupting the data during that pause and hand over.

I would assume the phone would not switch from 3G to wifi during an active file download (not streaming music/video but for example an App download)