Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
I am using my 2Gig MBA (yes, enuf for me) in hotel training sessions using Keynote and my iphone using the App "Keynote remote". The two connect using wifi (not BT) and as long as they are on the same network, the remote sees the MBA fine. However, some hotels refuse to let the two hook up even though they are paited. Really eliminates one of the things I bought the MBA for, -->using the phone as a remote.

Again, I stress that as soon as I return home to my own wifi, the i4 phone remote sees the MBA and vice versa perfectly.

I'm sure the answer is "it's the hotel wifi" - yes, I realize that, but is there any possible setting on the MBA or workaround to use this feature I so need? I'm not giving my presentations at home! I have an appt late next week for the Geek bar at my apple store but have a presentation to do monday.

Thanks

hansenc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2004
Do you need to have internet on the mba during the presentation?

If you don't you could always "create a network" and join your phone to that network.

Most Hotels do this for security, you wouldn't want someone else's laptop infecting your laptop with a virus (I know its a mac but it can happen).

glen e

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
no I don't need it really, for the MBA - so you mean buy an airport device?

I don't have tethering no do I want to do that on my phone as it is expense

advice?

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
Hansenc...

Is suggesting you use your MBA and create a Wifi network (ad hoc network) between your computer and your phone. You will be able to use your phone as a remote without any additional software or hardware. A quick search on the Internet and you can find how to do it.

no I don't need it really, for the MBA - so you mean buy an airport device?

I don't have tethering no do I want to do that on my phone as it is expense

advice?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
... you wouldn't want someone else's laptop infecting your laptop with a virus (I know its a mac but it can happen).
No, it can't happen. There has never been a virus in the wild that affects Mac OS X since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some education and common sense and care in what software you install:

Cave Man

macrumors 604
10-4 - I'll go to a free access place like the ft laud airport and see...

I'm not sure if you're trying to be flippant or not, but most hotels have a third-party service provider for their wifi and those providers usually have a firewall between your devices and the internet to prevent malware infections. Most of them have a "public IP" option which bypasses the firewall and allows "direct" access to the 'net.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
I was not..ft laud is public free....no sign in, etc . but problem solved 5 posts ago with the ad-hoc suggestion

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.