Using Wifi vs 3G on ipad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Alectric, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Alectric macrumors regular

On my home wifi network with the iPhone when I "slide to unlock" will be on 3G for about 20-30 second before switching over to wifi and will be using the 3G for that amount of time. Anyone think this will occur with the iPad 3G? The reason I ask is cause if I purchase 250megs and a friend grabs my iPad and starts surfing, I dont want to be using precious bites. I could just turn off 3G while at home, but might not always remember to do so.

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I don't know what the difference is between iPhone WiFi and other WiFi (Macbooks and iPad), but my iPad connects to the network immediately upon waking it from sleep --- not even enough time to open up the browser, let alone start surfing.

3. Alectric thread starter macrumors regular

My experience was the same with my wifi iPad and hoping it will be the same on the 3G.

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

We aren't really going to know until iPad's with 3G are in peoples hands.

5. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Same here, but I think the answer is that the iPad will work differently anyway. The main reason the iPhone experiences this behavior is because it turns off Wi-Fi when asleep to save battery. This is not the case with the iPad, the Wi-Fi stays on when it's asleep. So basically when you wake up a Wi-Fi + 3G, assuming you didn't get disconnected from Wi-Fi somehow while it was sleeping, it won't have this problem.

This of course is just based on the Wi-Fi only model, it might work differently with the 3G.