using windows 7 and xp on apple extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kevgrieca, Aug 6, 2010.

1. kevgrieca macrumors newbie

I have a laptop with windows xp and two desktops (one with xp and one with windows 7). If i install airport utility 5.5.1 on my xp desktop, will my windows 7 computer and windows xp computers both work with my airport extreme?

Thanks for your help.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

AirPort Utility only has to be installed on the computer you wish to be able to configure/set up the Extreme from. Assuming that your other computers have WiFi cards built in or you have USB adapters for them, they should be able to join the network broadcasted by the Extreme.

3. kevgrieca thread starter macrumors newbie

airport utility 5.5.1

Right. My airport utility is installed on my xp desktop which is connected to my airport extreme by a network cable. If i install airport utility 5.5.1 on that computer, will my laptop (which has windows xp and is wireless) and my other desktop (which has windows 7 and is wireless) both work correctly with the airport extreme?

Thanks again in advance for your help.

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Yes. Once your AirPort Extreme is set up, it will work with any wireless client, so long as they are capable of joining the type of network set up by the Extreme.

Think of it this way; whereas other routers' admin utilities are browser based and accessed via IP address, the Extreme requires a program to be installed. And just like you don't need to connect to the admin utility from every computer that joins other routers' networks, you don't need to install AirPort Utility on every client computer. Just the administrating computer.