Using Windows for a month, looking for workflow tips

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by bedouin, Jul 11, 2018.

1. bedouin macrumors member

I'm going to be using Windows for the next month or so. I'm wondering if anyone has some tips on making the experience more enjoyable from a workflow perspective.

One thing I tried to duplicate immediately was the functionality of Expose (or whatever it's called now). I found an app named BetterDesktopTool, but it's a little quirky and rough around the edges. Is there something better out there?

Also, I really like TextEdit. What's the closest thing to it? Is there a straightforward way to remap the control key to the command key?

I'm open to any other tips. I'm not interested in cosmetic changes (e.g., recreating the dock, window decorations)

2. Kingcr macrumors member

This is built into Windows 10 (you didn’t say which version of Windows you’re using). Hit Windows key + Tab or the button in the taskbar.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 11, 2018 ---
    As an incredibly lightweight plain text editor, Notepad is built in. You could use Wordpad if you need something a bit better. Or there are tons of other editors out there depending on what you want to do (which again you weren’t clear on).

3. bedouin thread starter macrumors member

The Windows key + tab function seems to give me what I want. I assume it can be assigned to a fourth or fifth mouse button. What's the shortcut to just show the desktop?

The text editor I'm looking for should (a) have rich text functionality, (b) convert URLs into clickable links in one go, not on a one-by-one basis, and (c) save as HTML. With regard to the second item, I don't want the URLs to be clickable right after I paste them in, but in bulk at a later time. TextEdit lets you do this. The ability to base a file of off a template (or something along the lines of macOS' "stationary" function) is an added bonus.

I'd like the ability to zoom in and out by holding down a key and moving the scroll wheel. I managed to achieve something similar to this, but it wasn't nearly as intuitive as in macOS. Also, is there a keyboard shortcut to read text out loud?

4. Valdna macrumors newbie

Valdna

Don't forget that you can swipe desktops and windows in Windows 10 also ;)