Using wireless b airport today

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Aika, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Aika macrumors regular

Aika

If I turn my phone or my iMac into a hotspot for my Pismo I only have two choices: WPA2 (which OS 9 doesn't support) and no security at all. I don't think I would want to set my router security to WEP either. Is there a trick I am missing or is ethernet the only safe option?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

For the original Airport card, OS9 is WEP only. OS X (depending on version/update) is WPA max with TKIP encryption only.

Only Airport Extreme will get you WPA2 or better. It's either time to upgrade, use a Mac with Airport Extreme or find a different solution.

I recently purchased a Belkin PC card for my son's TiBook. Essentially, he now has Airport Extreme and can do WPA2. OS X sees it exactly as an Airport Extreme card. But there are only three revisions of that PC card you can get that are compatible. There are two other cards that will work as well, but I'd have to look them up.

This card should work in your Mac though as it was a G3 that was referenced when I was looking for something to get my son back online at Starbucks (they shut off Wireless A/B there).

Here is the card I got:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/181761985829?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Revision 1112 is one of the three revisions that will work.

3. Aika thread starter macrumors regular

Aika

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I think I will give it a miss then as I want to keep the Pismo on OS 9. I have a PB G4 for my PowerPC OS X/Classic fix already. :)

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Another option is to run a separate AP with a WEP network. That being said, plugging it into the back of your router is just as insecure as running with WEP on the main router to begin with.

5. weckart macrumors 68040

A final option is to use a usb powered mini router set to bridge mode and feed the captured signal through your ethernet port. That gives you mobility, WPA2, 802.11n and, being OS independent, works as well with OS9 as with OSX.

ASUS makes a nice compact one.

https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/WL330NUL/

Cheaper options are available.

6. Aika thread starter macrumors regular

Aika

That's an interesting solution! Not too expensive either.

I tried to use USB tethering on my phone but it didn't seem to work so for now I will stick to the ethernet home plug that's near my bed.

To be honest the internet isn't usable on such a machine anyway. So many websites are dependent on javascript and as soon as you enable it in Classilla it brings the Pismo to its knees, even simple websites such as TidBits. The novelty of it is fun for a while but it's sad how bloated and power hungry the internet has become effectively obsoleting old machines.

7. ziggy29 macrumors 6502

I use a wireless Ethernet bridge which supports WPA2 for my Pismo in OS 9, which it sees as a wired Ethernet connection. Works great if a little cumbersome.