using wireless N

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by squeeks, Mar 6, 2008.

1. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

i dont get it, why cant i see why wireless N network?

mid 2007 MBP

do i have to turn anything specific on or something?

2. DocSmitty macrumors regular

You should be able to.. go to apps > utilities > network util and check that your airport card is listed as 802.11 (abgn)

If N is not listed then you need the $2 update, but your computer should already be enabled.

Next, can you give us more info about the N networks you are trying to see? Is it one network you can't see or is it any? Is SSID turned on for the network? Is the router firmware up to date?

3. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

hmm, well, im closer to it now, and i can see it, i guess in my room where i usually am im too far away, its got like 3 brick walls to go through and about 40' of distance but here in the living room i can see it and i got 3-4 bars but im just on the other side of the wall of it, my wireless G AP is in the living room and there are only 2 walls and about 15' of space between them

so i guess that solves my problem

Attached Files:

4. dmarch macrumors regular

dmarch

I have a similar issue in my home. I have both a "G" and an "N" network set up. For some reason, the range of the "G" is much broader than the "N". I thought that it would be the other way around.

5. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Yeah I have a similar problem. My Linksys WRT300N router has to go through 4 washer and dryers so the signal was bouncing off the walls. I decided to move the router about 5 feet away from where it was and I changed my router to Wireless G only because I have been having N problems. Works great. Fast, doesnt drop. Just try to move the router around the room and find a good spot.