using wmwifirouter with os x

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bitt3n, Aug 14, 2008.

1. bitt3n macrumors newbie

I'm trying to use wmwifirouter (wmwifirouter.com) with os x, and wmwifirouter itself seems to work (says 'connected'), but I am having problems connecting to it from the mac. I see the wmwifirouter listed under "Devices" in the networking menu (rather than as a network). When I connect to the wmwifirouter as a device, I have no internet connection through the mac.

A message in network preferences indicates that "Airport is using a self-assigned IP address and may not have access to the internet" when I connect to wmwifirouter, whereas when I connect to my regular router, this message says "Airport is connected to routername and has the IP address 192.168.2.3."

I am using the most recent version of wmwifirouter, 1.10, with all settings at default. Is there some way to get wmwifi to work as a regular network so that it assigns an IP address to my mac? the settings suggest it should be doing this already.

2. badams1 macrumors newbie

Hi Bittn ... I'm having the very same problem. Did you ever find a solution? Thx.

3. bitt3n thread starter macrumors newbie

no I gave up in despair

you might want to try ppcgeeks.com though

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

If you bothered to read the website you would see

Clients (devices that connect to the device running WMWifiRouter)
    Reported to work

* Asus EEE PC
    o See KB0805018.
    * Cisco VPN
    o See KB0806020.
    * iPod Touch
    o Some users have reported for correct operation you need the iPod 2.0 firmware, and on your device need to set Start -> Settings -> Connections -> Wireless LAN -> Power Mode to Best Performance.
    * Netgear Telephone SPH101
    * Nokia N800
    * Personal computers and laptops
    o Windows, Linux, Mac
    * SlingBox
    o User reported a port mapping for port 5001 is required.
    * X-Box 360

Is a specific apple laptop/pc there? no it says only MAC which could mean hackintosh, or extensive modding required

5. bitt3n thread starter macrumors newbie

if your mother had bothered not to drink herself to sleep every night during your gestation, you would realize that one way to find out whether modifications are required for any specific model is to post on a forum, which is generally more useful as a source of advice than as a medium for hamfisted sniping.