Using WWDC publicity to clear stock?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mister Bumbo, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Mister Bumbo macrumors 6502

Just throwing an idea out there. And I know people are flaming right now, but remember - if you don't have anything nice or constructive to say, please refrain from posting.

What we know:

- No new iMac were announced.
    - There's leaked benchmark results so new iMacs should be coming.
    - There were early rumors about a June release - not necessarily WWDC release.
    - Although it doesn't look like new iMacs are coming anytime soon, third party resellers are running low on stock, also - some people in various threads have reported that when they've talked to store owners they have said they have not recieved shipments for some time.
    - Some prices for BTO options have been slashed down in the Apple store.
    - The BTO times for iMacs has gone up and down like a yoyo the last few weeks.

Well, taking these factors into consideration, one could argue that Apple wants to try to clear out some more iMac stock before releasing it, meaning they've put an embargo on iMacs for the time being, hence using the WWDC publicity to clear out the stock.

I don't know if this has been done by Apple before, and if it has - if it is known at all. But if a spec bump is indeed coming (no redesign, no retina, etc, etc) and Apple are holding off on releasing the new iMacs for some well-thought-out marketing techniques, could something along these lines be it?

2. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

3. leadfeather89 macrumors member

Yes!

4. garrize macrumors regular

garrize

5. sebi247 macrumors member

Thought the same, more than 30 days (!) out of stock (est. shipping date for most of the iMacs on one of Germany's largest reseller shops : June 21st).

6. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

let hope it is a redesigned model although all i want is the intel ivy bridges but hey mabey it will bereleased when mt lion is in jully wishfull thinking.

7. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

It's NOT going to be a redesign if it is a quiet update. Apple always makes redesigns known. Take today's macs as an example.

8. snebes macrumors 6502a

Nice idea, but how would this effectively clear stock? They updated the 2 product lines around the iMac--MBP and MP. Plus they released a new, special MBP. Where is the incentive to buy an iMac?

The best I am foreseeing is a release in late june or july, spec bumps, and mountain lion.

9. drmountaindeww macrumors member

June 21st is when I get out of school for the summer! What a potential treat! :D