Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
UK
I have an app which is paid for and uses licensed media from a film company.

Recently said company released a product containing a song and they want to know if I can add the YouTube video for that song to my app as a kind of bonus content for users.

The issue I'm having is that they're not willing to help out with the legal aspect of adding this video because from their point of view it's on YouTube so if I just drop a web view into the app they can't see where the issue lies.

My concern is that adding this YouTube video to the app may have legal implications because the app is paid for and it could be construed that people are paying for the privilege of seeing the video even though it isn't even a major part of the app.

What I was planning to do is add in a web view displaying the video along with the "buy this song on iTunes option" to cover all of my bases but I still don't feel very comfortable doing it.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? I've not had any problems with displaying YouTube content in free apps before but something about this being a paid for app is making me nervous.

Before anyone says anything, there is simply no room to negotiate with the film company I work with, they're not willing to help at all, they just want this feature in. They're a difficult company to work with but they pay my bills so I'm just trying to accommodate them as best as possible without getting sued.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.