USPS delivered the goods today

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jekyoo, Feb 28, 2012.

1. jekyoo, Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012

jekyoo macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

My 240gb Intel 520 SSD and hard drive caddy came in today! :D Will be busy with exams over the next couple days but will install this bad boy Friday. I'll report back on the performance of the 520.

2. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

Oh boy, that feeling of getting something in the mail... makes you ALMOST forget that you had to pay for it.
    Hehehe congrats

3. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I know the feeling :D
    I honestly love when I see the truck and they drop something off :)
    enjoy :)

4. jekyoo thread starter macrumors 6502

My productivity level drops significantly on days that I'm expecting a package. I literally sit around and do nothing til it arrives, so bad lol

Today was really great actually. I originally bought it for $520 on Amazon but I checked today and I saw that the ssd dropped to $357! I contacted the reseller and they're reimbursing me the price difference since I just ordered it Thursday and the price change was sometime yesterday or today. Now I don't feel so bad with how much I spent. :D

5. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I know this feeling exactly. I just constantly check to see if my stuff has arrived yet. But when it finally does end up in my hands, it's so great. How did people get by before the ability to buy stuff online? You expect me to drive to a store to buy something? Do I look like a peasant to you?

6. jekyoo thread starter macrumors 6502

I seriously check the tracker every 10-20 minutes lol

I actually prefer buying things at the store since it'll be able to get them instantly. But since online is significantly cheaper, I don't mind the 2-3 day wait if I'm doing a decent amount of savings. Tax is Chicago is 10.25% so Amazon prime has been my savior :D

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Congrats and enjoy :)

Where did you get the hard drive caddy as you called it.

8. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

When I read the words "Out For Delivery" on a shipment tracker, my mental age drops to around five.

9. camardelle macrumors 6502

I find myself having more and more in common with folks here at MacRumors every day. LOL

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I also cancel or procrastinate all my appointments for the day. I put off running errands, going out to eat… all the in name of getting that special package!

11. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

12. jekyoo thread starter macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

I am trying to format the Intel 520 but I get this error. Does anyone know how to fix this?

13. Acejam2k macrumors regular

I wouldn't bother with erasing the disk, especially since it's brand new. Format as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" and install away!

14. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Try doing it in Lion recovery mode. You can start installing a clean install of Lion also on the new SSD while you're in there. That's what I did. The SSD by default is MSDOS format, at least mine was. So, it won't be useful until it's formatted to a Mac HD system. A quick format will do this.

15. jekyoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Correct me if I'm wrong but in order to format as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)", I need to erase though. I chose the format type, then changed the name of the drive and when I click erase, that's the error that pops up.

----------

I wil retry this and report back.

----------

Tried to format the drive to Mac OS Extended in recovery moe but I still get the same error as above. =\

Any other ideas?

16. Acejam2k macrumors regular

No, you don't need to erase it - it's brand new. You need to *format* it, which can be done on the partition tab of Disk Utility.

If the drive already had partitions and was previously used, then yes, you would want to erase it, since the drive would have old data on it. Your drive is brand new, therefore you don't need to erase it. (only format)

17. thebritishguy macrumors member

Looking at the screen grab

Could it be the fact your trying to format with the same name as your HDD? Try Changing the name of your SSD or HDD partition?

18. AdrianK macrumors 68020

The 'Erase' option just creates a single partition with the filesystem you choose. It's the same as choosing 1 partition under the partition tab, only less complicated.

19. jekyoo thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried to do what you said and I get the same error.

[​IMG]

----------

I tried changing the name and it doesn't work. That's what I originally did actually. I wanted to name it SSD.

20. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I have to resist the urge to call my driver ;)

Of course, then he calls me to tell me where to meet him! :D (He doesn't like my driveway - but did come down it yesterday for me!)

21. jekyoo thread starter macrumors 6502

After doing some research, it seems like people who put their SSD in their optical bay have this issue. =\

I guess I have to get an external exclosure to use superduper. I wanted to use the sata port to copy my hdd faster but I guess this won't work.

22. jekyoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Just an update for future SSD buyers with this issue..

The issue was putting the SSD in the optibay to format. It simply doesn't work and you need to format the SSD via an external exclosure (if you plan to use superduper or carbon copy cloner).

Once I formated the drive, everything went smoothly like it should.

23. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Really? I was able to format my Intel X25-M in the optibay when i installed it. I got Carbon Copy Cloner to work too. I didn't really do anything special. It just worked for me.

24. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

Couldn't you install it in your regular HD location and move the hard disk to the optical bay? I can't see why it would matter, but I'd do that before I used a external.

25. jekyoo thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess it may vary because I had this issue and when I looked it up, a lot of people who were trying to do what I did had the same issue. I just followed their resolutions and it worked.