USPS loses package, I later receive it

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by spaceboots06, Jul 23, 2009.

1. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I placed an order last month for a few knives. USPS lost the order and the company sent a replacement package. Today I received both packages. Do I have to pay for shipping to send one of the extra packages back to the company? Should I wait for them to become aware of the fact that the lost package became "un-lost"?

Thanks.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Call them and tell them you have the package and they should RMA it. Shipping should not be your issue as they can file a claim with UPS and recoup their shipping costs.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Call said company and ask them. This happened with me a couple of months ago and they let me keep both because shipping me a check, making me shipping it back and processing was not really worth it in time and money.

4. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Call them and ask if they will pay for return shipping, otherwise keep it.

A few days ago I ordered some PS3 games and blu-ray movies from Amazon. UPS status said it was delivered to my front door, but it wasn't. I called Amazon and told them and instead of trying to track down the package they said they would just re-ship or issue a refund, no other questions asked. I said reship, and 2 hours later the UPS guy arrived. Huh? I called Amazon and told them to cancel the reshipment, but it was too late. Amazon said to just keep both sets since they didn't want to cover return shipping on the items.

Depends on the company, but try calling.

5. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

6. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Thanks for the replies guys. They said I "could" write REFUSED on it and throw it back in the mailbox. I'll probably do that even though I really want to keep them. :(

7. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

The mail insurance most likely picked up the costs for the company. I'm sure they'll let you keep it. No harm in asking.

8. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

I'd say go ahead and keep it, my mom's lexmark printer wouldnt scan, and they sent us a brand new one and told us we could keep both.

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

Call the company

I had a situation where I fedex lost my package the company sent out another package. That delivery came though fine but a few day's latter the lost shippment showed up. I called the company told them what happened they told me to keep both for my troubles. Not that there was any, but at least I know I did the ethical thing. Sometimes being honest has it's rewards!

10. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I think I'm going to hold on to the package for another week. I called them today and they said I "could" write REFUSE on one of the packages and throw it in the mail. The contents were less than $100, if that even means anything.

Could? Poor choice of words. :cool:

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Getting an RMA number is still safest, since their website likely says not to simply return stuff unathorized.

Refusing a signature required package is one thing, doing what they ask still doesn't make sure it is cleared up in their computers.

12. iNikon macrumors member

Why is this even a question? Did you pay for the knives? No? Then they do not belong to you. Call the company and I'm positive they will be glad to pay return shipping - although I have a feeling you'll just keep them and not say a word.

13. jzon macrumors newbie

I'll prolly do the same thing but maybe will call them first. Or check both packages and get the better of the two...don't return and not checking your knives. Just making sure its in perfect condition.