Usps "lost" package

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by aimbdd, Nov 8, 2015.

1. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

So I funded a Kickstarter for a 3D printer back in feb. The project cost was $400. A couple months later we did upgrades and I added an extra $140. Than last month they sent the shipping invoice for $60. Fast forward to this week and they sent me a tracking number the day it was scheduled to arrive, so there was no way I could be home for the delivery. While I was at work, someone signed for and stole my package. I can't read the signature, but they definitely didn't even sign my name. I opened an investigation with usps, but they said its gone. So I'm going to have to open a claim. Which brings me to my question. They only insured the package for $350, and they refuse to even do the insurance claim yet alone pay the difference that they didn't insure for.

Am I in my rights to open a chargeback for the $60 in shipping and $140 second charge, that I'm not going to reimbursed for? Both of those charges were done directly on their website, and not through Kickstarter. I would only be loosing $50 that way, because you definitely can't chargeback a kickstart project. What do you all think?

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

3. Meister Suspended

Meister

Lawyer.

Also: Thread title misleading.
    Should be: "UPS lost my package"

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, it is, isn't it?

When you have worked in countries where they have real problems, life, death, murder, forced migration (either internally or internationally), houses destroyed, ethnic massacres, lacking education, water, food, electricity……and you read the concerns of some who post here, you think, wow, how one's perspective is transformed depending on where you have had the good fortune to have been born and brought up….

Agreed, and the OP would do well to heed your timely advice. The thread title is hugely misleading. Advice to the OP: Change it to something along the lines suggested by @Meister.

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

You could dispute the whole thing. However, you're likely to run into a lot of resistance. They will likely claim that the signature constitutes confirmation of delivery. You are now dealing with large business entities that will do everything they can to stonewall you, shift the blame, etc.

Something similar happened to me (package theif roaming the apartment building), after being run around a few times I was able to successfully argue that both the carrier and the sender were negligent. The critical difference was that this rather expensive package was left without signature and there was a record of it being left in an insecure location without one.

I now rent a box at a store staffed by employees that will accept packages on my behalf. I write it off as a cost of living where I do.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

When renting apartments, when I knew I would be out for most of the day, I used to use the departmental office at the university where I worked, where I knew the secretarial staff- but that is not a solution that would work for everyone.

7. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Yeah, I had considered this option after the theft, but I didn't want to have to lug packages home on the train whenever I got one.

8. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

The signature isn't enough to prove anything, and the insurance wouldn't cover it. It is bad timing considering that it's November, and I'm sure what happened to you, will happen to other people who are getting their shipments.

9. Macky-Mac, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015

Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

You should call your credit card issuer and discuss the situation with them. One thing you'll have to find out is how long they give you to file a dispute. It may be too late to ask for a chargeback for the upgrade features (unless they didn't send you a model with the upgrade)

On the shipping, my guess is they'll say since the company actually shipped it to you, the CC issuer won't give you a chargeback.

But call and talk to them, maybe you'll get lucky.......they're not going to gives you a chargeback unless you ask!

10. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

In the UK a lot of courier companies now use access points. If you are not home, they will leave you a card and drop your parcel off at a local newsagent or convenience store.
    Some people like it, some don't, but I prefer it to when my PS4 was left in my recycling bin out the front of my house.
    Personally I nearly always take my deliveries at work. Keeps the contents away from prying eyes at home!

11. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I almost always have my packages shipped to my office, where I always know there will be a chain of custody by the mail room staff with whom I'm friendly.

Most of usps/fedex/ups delivery men/women usually keys to my building's foyer and 85% of the time leave packages inside. The other 15% of the time they leave them outside. If it's something valuable, forget it I'll have it shipped to my office.

12. aimbdd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately it would definitely be stolen if it was delivered to where I work. Every time i call my local post office, the person I need to "just stepped out" Third day in a row now.

13. Roller macrumors 68020

But doesn't the "first world problem" characterization apply to the majority of what is discussed in MacRumors forums? Whether it's the flaws in the latest iOS update, the advantages of a faster processor, the aesthetics of Apple Watch bands, or the sonic merits of headphones, they all pale in comparison to the problems you cite or, for that matter, to the day to day travails of many first world inhabitants, such as the heartbreak faced by many of the patients I deal with. While I believe that perspective is valuable, that doesn't mean that many of the issues raised by members here aren't worthy of consideration.

(I do agree that the thread title is misleading, however.)

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

To answer the question asked in the first sentence of your post, @Roller, yes, it does.

And yes, I do find it trying at times. And, although I take your point that such concerns can be 'worthy of consideration', - especially on a site such as this, devoted to a discussion of all things Apple, and many things tech, I do find it hard to take the splenetic emotions and what seems to me to be a display of excessive emotional expenditure that often accompany such posts (and threads) terribly seriously.

However, life experiences tend to bestow some sense of perspective - and your own profession probably allows you an insight into the human condition that most social media sites cannot.

15. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

In my case, I ship high value or things I know will require a signature to a local business that a) receives a ton of UPS and FedEx packages and b) I know everyone who works there. I do enough business there that they are happy to sign for one or two packages a year that I have sent there. All you have to do is ask...