USPS Parcel Post Delivery?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ph03n1x, Jul 26, 2008.

1. ph03n1x macrumors member

A guy is sending me a package but I don't know when, most likely today (Saturday). I just need to know how long it would take for it to get here. He's in South Carolina and I'm in New Jersey. According to the USPS website it says 5 business days which I highly doubt since UPS Ground only takes 2 business days. So how long will it take if he ships today? And if he ships on Monday?

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...they tend to over-estimate the delivery times so that when you trace it looks as though they are out-performing their expectations - pay little attention to the man behind the tracing window...I'd guess that if he shipped on Monday you'd get in on wednesday (assuming he got it their before they days cut-off)...oh yeah!

3. ph03n1x thread starter macrumors member

If he ships it today then when do I get it? Tuesday? And if I get it on Wednesday, that'll be a good birthday gift :D

4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...it really does depend. The time of day that it is picked up, which day (weekends always add a day or two with ground service delivery), the route it has to take to get to you. The most direct on the map is not always the route the courier company takes as most use a "hub/spoke" system to sort their shipments. The best way to know when they'll deliver is to get the tracking number from the sipper and look online - a day earlier is a bonus and a day later is probably normal, especially if you are not home and must arrange for a drop shipment.....oh yeah!

5. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

Parcel Post is very unpredictable. It can take anywhere from a few days up to a month.............

6. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Yup...I have had many issues with Parcel. Going from New Jersey to New York took 4 days. Probably the worst service USPS has next to Media Mail.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

IIRC, Parcel Post is very low-priority. When it gets there, it gets there. No guarantees on anything.

If it's not too late, I'd see if you can pony up the extra for Priority Mail, that's usually no more than 3 days

8. ph03n1x thread starter macrumors member

Update

So he moved us up to Priority Shipping since he probably realized Parcel is a turtle. So now how long will it take to get here? He said he would've shipped it this morning or if he couldn't, then on Monday morning.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Priority Mail is my preferred shipping method. If shipped on a weekday with enough time left in the week it's pretty much a 2 day guarantee for the continental US.

10. ph03n1x thread starter macrumors member

Another update...

He said he shipped it yesterday which is a nice convenience. So how long will it take?

11. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I'll have to second this one. I had bad experience with the cheaper mailing methods (Parcel Post, Media Mail) losing or damaging my packages. I only use those methods if I don't give a damn.

12. xboxer75010 macrumors 6502

xboxer75010

If he is not to far away from you it will probably take a couple of days.

13. gregdrummeraz macrumors 6502

This guys funny, I enjoy his posts. turns a bad day into a rad one hah :D