USPS/ Royal Mail Vs Fedex - RAM RACE :)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by johny5, Feb 11, 2008.

1. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

a happy punter here...

I ordered 2 x 2gb OWC ram on 30th Jan via USPS/Royal Mail and it came today - 12 days and I ducked under the import duty radar :)

Whilst I was waiting for that to arrive I got itchy and ordered more:

Ordered another 2 x 2gb OWC ram on 6th Feb via fedex (what a quick service :) )and it also came today - 5 days

I guess I will see my fedex bill soon ey?:(

2. MST macrumors 6502

MST

OWC's international order turnaround time is awesome, however, I ordered a 4GB upgrade kit for my MB to be shipped via FedEx; the shipping was superfast and for a few weeks I thought I'd slipped under the customs radar to, but then I received an invoice from FedEx billing me for the various import charges but even so it was still bloody good value.

More recently I ordered another 4GB upgrade kit for my iMac but this time chose shipping via USPS; the shipping was still very fast and again I escaped paying any import charges, yes there is a chance that I may still receive an invoice, but unlike FedEx USPS don't have a presence in the UK therefore any charges would be handled by Royal Mail who usually slip a card through your letterbox detailing the charges to be paid on collection at your local depot.

USPS is the way forward; although they aren't necessarily as fast, FedEx and UPS have both stung me for import charges, UPS' "brokerage fee" is ridiculous and is often higher than the actual tax itself.

3. smogsy macrumors 6502a

here if you order from ocuk by intail city link its here next day :D somtines thats 12 hours!

4. peejack macrumors 6502a

I ordered by fedex and got a bill a few days later. Would be interesting to know if royalmail will charge any fee's, keep us informed if a bill turns up, as I may have to order more.

5. supercooled macrumors 6502a

Canada Customs = $61.75

As someone said, still a bloody good deal.

6. imacdaddy macrumors 6502a

Ordered my RAM from Transintl.com they shipped it out via DHL on Thu Feb 7th (US) and arrived the next day Sat Feb 9th in Hong Kong...we're 12 hours ahead. If it wasn't for Chinese New Year, I would have received it on that afternoon. It came into my office today first thing in the morning!

I usually buy 1 or 2 sticks of RAM. But this was a box of RAM and was HEAVY.

Check it out!
    [​IMG]
    2x1GB and 4x2GB + 2x1GB(stock) = 12GB of goodness!
    [​IMG]
    Mammoth heatsinks!
    [​IMG]

Also my 3 x 750GB Sammy F1's came in today too! I hope my display comes in before the MP or else it would be a headless MP. The wait is driving me nuts!

7. johny5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johny5

Well ive ordered things from the US before and Royal Mail usually ask for payment on delivery, the postie just handed me the parcel :)

Quite funny really as the first 2 x 2gb's cost me £128.14 shipped via USPS/Royal mail, ok took an age to get here, but skipped import tax.
    Yet my 2 x 2gb's order sent via Fedex actually cost £127.07, cheaper, quicker, but expecting a fedex bill of around £30 i guess.

those prices are everything in, delivered.

I know if I want anymore ram I wont be in a hurry for it and go USPS :D

8. johny5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johny5

Booom, heres the Fedex bill I was expecting.....£34.80, I hope the government enjoy the money!

USPS FTW for me next time! :D