USPS won't honor my claim because the iPhone "is a prohibited item." Is that right?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macaddict23, Oct 29, 2010.

1. macaddict23 macrumors 6502

macaddict23

I'll call the International Claims Processing on Monday, but I want to know if I'm the only victim here.

- I sold an iPhone via eBay on Jul 17 to Russia
    - I bought insurance
    - After a month, the buyer filed a claim about not receiving it
    - Earlier today, I received a notice in the mail denying my claim.

When I shipped this item, I bought insurance for it because it was my understanding that insurance covers for damages, lost and theft. The USPS' denial of my claim is based on the package containing "prohibited items." How does an average citizen like me suppose to know what's prohibited in Russia or in any country for that matter? Is there an official Prohibited List of items? If so, is the American public fully aware of it? I clearly wrote down "Apple iPhone" in the Description section of the Customs and Declaration form. If anyone should have an official list of prohibited items, I would think it would be all of the postal services here in the U.S. Why didn't the Postal Service here in my town stop me from shipping it? Why didn't the customs department in San Francisco stop the item from being shipped? eBay sells stuff every second throughout the world. You'd think they'd be aware of such a list, and stop sellers during the listing process from selling the item.

Like I said, I will call on Monday and appeal their decision. What are my chances? Do I have a strong case for getting my money back?

Thanks for your time!

2. 184550 Guest

Ten seconds of Googling returned this.

Seems to be routine and that you're not alone in your situation.

EDIT:

If a shipping company is having problems and can't get their money back, I don't think an individual is going to have much luck.

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

the above advice is useless ... just call them, if you insured the shipment ... they should take care of it ... that is why they offer insurance.

They may have a bunch of useless people that waste people's time working there ... but they will not just rip you off.

4. 184550 Guest

Did you bother to click the link?

Posted recently (three months ago) by an employee of the Shipito company, first post on the page:

This appears to be quite similar to the OPs situation.

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

No I did not click the link ... for one I do not Google things for people - 2 ... I know what I am posting about.

and 3 - Never trust Google or peoples useless links

6. 184550 Guest

Self-assured arrogance is still arrogance. ;)

7. RobinHo0d macrumors member

Surely Russia is looking for trouble with us by messing with our iPhones.

8. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

sorry Nate you feel that way ... just trying to help the OP with some advice.

not into wasting my time googling useless crap that does does Zero good.

bottom line ... call USPS and sort it out ... they are not looking to rip you off.

9. macaddict23 thread starter macrumors 6502

macaddict23

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the links and advice.

10. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Officer, I didn't know the speed limit was 25, sorry for going 100. Unfortunately not being aware of a regulation doesn't permit one to ignore it. If it is prohibited (illegal) I would guess insurance could be denied.

http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/ps_013.htm

11. RoscoeUA macrumors member

RoscoeUA

I personally believe your first mistake was trusting the USPS with a package. I was in the shipping business for 4 years and will NEVER use the USPS for anything but post cards and letters that I don't care if they get lost. It's all UPS and FedEx for me. I know they aren't perfect, but they are far superior to the USPS.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Might as well have taken up the Nigerian guy on his offer to buy it.

13. elistan macrumors 6502a

Ah, but have you ever used UPS and FedEx to ship "transmitters and transceivers of any power" to Russia? I suspect the issue isn't with the USPS losing an item - it sounds like Russian customs is confiscating the item because they prohibit such items from being shipped. Just like color copiers. Method and reliability of the shipping method simply don't matter here.

14. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

my guess is listing the contents as apple iphone is akin to asking someone to take it.

15. michalko.j macrumors member

Agreed. I had replacement earbuds from apple shipped to school and go missing twice. Apple even tries to make their identity on the shipping label not so obvious. It became obvious to me they were taken when they were signed for by people who weren't working that day.

16. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Didn't know this about Russia. This is one of the many reasons to sell a high tech device limited to US buyers on eBay...

17. anonymouz1828 macrumors regular

Lesson learned

No wonder, I see some ebayers post 'only ship in the USA'. Now, it makes senses .. it pretty much scam just like shipping to Nigeria.

Sorry for your problem .. i hope you can it settle but it seems deal with Russia is like Nigeria rip off.

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Sorry to say this OP, but I think that you are SOL.

19. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'm sorry OP, but shipping to countries like Russia is inherently risky--you should have known that. You can make more money by opening up your auctions to foreign bidders but its always a gamble and you have to accept that you're gonna lose stuff from time to time.

There are so many evolving rules and restrictions that buying "insurance" means nothing--especially concerning international shipments.

20. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

To the OP: No, it isn't right. And don't settle for "Oh well, I learned my lesson."

That's bulls***. You paid for your insurance, and your insurance you should get. Fight it. Call every higher up number you can get from the USPS. My iPod touch was stolen by an employee of the USPS once and never got to its destination (and I shipped to Florida) - and they tried for WEEKS to deny my claim, give me a runaround, they even made the person I sent it to write a LETTER to them stating that they in fact never received it. (even though by the tracking information they could see this was the case - it never left my city).

So long story short, the USPS sucks, never use them again, and GET YOUR MONEY BACK.

21. Lamarak macrumors 6502

When you bought the insurance, did you mention or get it in writing that it was an iphone? They shouldnt have sold you insurance if it wasnt going to cover it unless you omitted the fact it was an iphone.

22. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Unfortunately for you, some Russian Custom's employee will be selling it for a huge profit. It doesn't make it right, but that's the way it works in Mother Russia...
    With respect to your insurance, most policies require you, the purchaser, to be familiar with the exclusions of coverage.

23. XJ13sd macrumors member

Apple OC, please don't give advice to people when you clearly have no clue what you are talking about. Yes google can return some odd answers but it often can give people correct information, saying you cant trust goggle but to trust you is just ridiculous. There is no sorting out here man, don't tell him that. Plus, USPS, as in united states postal service, aren't you from Canada. I wouldn't give advice to you about how canadas mail service works so I suggest you do the same. Also, you are wrong, wrong wrong and arrogance is bliss I suppose.

24. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Sorry you are so bitter ... it is only advice which can be ignored by anyone but you ... by the way Google is useless for me ... maybe it works for you, but to each his own.

I also live in Florida ... you should not be so nosy ... and please do not send any more emails to my website.

Find something better to do with your time.:cool: