Ususually High MBP Temp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Vice92, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Vice92 macrumors regular

I'm running a 17 month old 15" MBP 2.54ghz and my cpu temp averages in the ranges from 60-75C, which is pretty high! The keyboard area is constantly hot and its just pretty annoying and unhealthy for the computer. Plus, I'm not doing anything except surfing the web via Firefox 4 beta with iTunes and Outlook open.

Any ideas on how to get my CPU cooler? Besides getting a laptop cooler to go underneath that is, money is a little tight.

Thanks.

2. Vice92 thread starter macrumors regular

I would agree the temps are "within spec", but just jump up from averaging in the high 40's to 50's has just happened recently.

I'm used to desktop maintenance where I would open it up and clean out the fans, reapply thermal paste to the cpu, etc. Is this possible on my MBP without voiding the warranty?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's really not necessary. Your temps are not just "within spec"; they're well within safe and normal range for your MBP. They may be higher than you're used to on a PC, but they don't justify any added attention at that level. All I'm doing at the moment is viewing this forum, and mine is at 63C. Really, you can relax. It's perfectly fine.

4. simsaladimbamba

Yes, another option is to look at Activity Monitor (select to Show All Processes) and sort by CPU to see, what process hogs up the CPU. Flash is the usual culprit nowadays.

I get temperatures of up to 100° C when rendering in Cinema 4D and the laptop still doesn't feel that hot over the keyboard.

5. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

It's FireFox 4 Beta. Had the same issue myself (and a bunch of others). It wasn't unusually hot but hotter than the normal sitting temp and hot enough to elevate the 'resting' speed of the fan at +/- 2000RPM closer to 4k RPM.

If you are live-streaming anything, that will also spike heating temps which is normal and will not change. Something like this forum should not have an effect on the temp as much as playing music videos on YouTube. If you are playing videos or using the CD drive, that will as well. If you are sitting it on certain materials that act as an insulator, that will do it as well.

6. Vice92 thread starter macrumors regular

While it may be "fine", the keyboard area is pretty warm and typing on it becomes uncomfortable for long periods. While probably unnecessary, will I void my warranty cleaning out the fans, etc?

It's Firefox, which has always been a CPU/Memory hog, but I'm just not used to it having this much effect on temperatures.

7. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

FF4 Beta is having many issues, especially with OSX 10.6.5/6. It is going to be Beta for a while as the whole platform has gotten negative feedback. Switch back to the 3.6 version or whatever the current one is. If you use a lot of add ons, those are the memory hogs as they all add up. Google Chrome is the least hogging of resources but it is newer and not as many add ons exist as of yet.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple Warranty: Installing Memory, Expansion Cards, User Installable Parts Does Not Void Warranty
    Page 61 of your MacBook Pro User's Manual:

9. Vice92 thread starter macrumors regular

I was using 3.6 and life was good, except my web pages, along with videos was all stuttery and laggy. Firefox 4 beta seemed to fix that.

10. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

If you reapply thermal paste in your MBP, and do not break anything/leave any traces, Apple will not find out. I recently reapplied thermal paste on my 13" MBP. The temperatures dropped about 20ºC. I have a thread about what I did here. I have had tons of repairs done on my computer since then, and Apple hasn't noticed. They covered all of the repairs under warranty, even though I reapplied thermal paste beforehand. I had the display assembly, topcase, battery, HDD, HDD cable, magsafe board, and internal speakers replaced after my reapplication of paste.

11. Vice92 thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting idea, but I'm not sure how comfortable I have with doing that if it will void my warranty (although my one with Apple has already expired, I'm currently only covered through SquareTrade...).

I switched to Chrome and my temps are dropped considerable; I know can surf the web at idle at "just" 60C.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

FYI, my CPU is at 81C, with only the forum and iTunes running. No problems at all.

13. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

But are you using a C2D, like the OP? I am at 61ºC with about 15 tabs open in google chrome, and dual-screening with my external display.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yep. MacBook Pro 4,1 My temps don't vary too much. Even with a dozen Safari tabs open, Mail, iCal, iTunes, Preview, TextEdit, Skype, Address Book, TeamViewer and several widgets open, it never gets out of hand. Runs as fast as day one.

15. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I don't think speed was an issue that the OP was addressing...

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, I know. I just threw that in.

17. Vice92 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm definitely not worried about speed, my MBP has held true from day one. It is just uncomfortable to type on the very warm surface my laptop has become. My hands start sweating and its just ridiculous. The fact that this has only recently become an issue is the thing I'm worried about, not the fact that my MBP can or cannot handle the temperature. It is a well known fact that the high temp a component is left at, the shorter that component's lifespan. But that's besides the point, I just can't type on my laptop! Its quite annoying.

I'm waiting on SquareTrade to email me back to see if I void my warranty through Apple, will I void their warranty too. If not, this puppy is coming apart and I'm cleaning/reapplying the thermal paste.

18. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Good luck!! As long as you have plenty of time, and the correct materials, it is not very difficult. Follow the guide from iFixit. That is what I did.

19. vant macrumors 65816

I'd be worried if I were you. My temps hover depending on ambient from 40C to 50C for web browsing without flash.

I'd check for dust (vacuum it) and unnecessary background applications.

20. Vice92 thread starter macrumors regular

What kind of machine are you running?

21. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

let me give you a comparison, i'm running at 89º right now.

22. Vice92 thread starter macrumors regular

Celsius?