Ut3

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Ol3s, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Ol3s macrumors regular

Ol3s

Anyone know when unreal tournament is coming out for mac?

2. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

It was supposed to hit stores more than half a year ago. I've given up on waiting for it and bought the Xbox 360 version last year. I played through the single player campaign and found it 'so-la-la'. I must say that I prefer UT2004 and I don't know if I will buy the Mac version of UT3 in case it will ever see the light of day. And when it comes out, it will most likely run crappy compared to the Windows and Xbox versions - as Mac ports of games almost always do.

3. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

Doubtful Epic will bother releasing a Mac version since the console/windows versions sold and were reviewed to be crap.

They DID however just release a huge (massively huge) patch a couple of days ago and right now the game is 100% free to download and play via Steam (Windows only) this entire weekend. If you decide to buy it, it's only $11. I've been trying to download it for a while but their servers are getting absolutely slammed right now.

4. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

I t won't come out. The Pc version was shredded by critics and pretty much everyone who wants it is bootcamping it on the Mac.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm playing this via Bootcamp. Would be nice if there was a Mac version, wouldn't get it though. It's been much too long. I mean it's like £10 on PC now, why would anyone who really wanted it fork over fullprice for a Mac version?

6. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

It was released on Windows 16 months ago, and was supposed to be out on OS X 12 months ago. I doubt it will actually come over to OS X.

7. aluminumapple macrumors regular

on bootcamp windows on steam for the weekend they had free trial for UT 3. it was fun : P

8. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Can't you still download it? It took me an entire night to do so. :eek:

9. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I've read somewhere that its going to be released by the end of March 09, but don't quote me on that :(

If it doesn't come out, I'm getting a PC version.

10. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

I gave up an got it last year. It remember when 2003/2004 came out as soon as the PC version came out.

11. Ol3s thread starter macrumors regular

Ol3s

I read that on macsoft

12. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

And last year, Macsoft said it'd be out in March '08. :rolleyes:

They're working on it, but don't get your hopes up for March.

13. bobriot macrumors member

I am bootcamping it on my iMac 24" 2.4 etc etc... I must have crap taste in games as I really enjoy doing a SP mission or two and then switching to another game. Doesn't quite have the up to 4am Half Life 2 quality but I got it in the Steam sale for about £5. That said I was in the market for a Tourny game and it fits the bill nicely.

14. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

15. lewdvig macrumors 65816

It was more of the same, not a bad thing at all for those of us that have bought all the installments.

I am curious about the Mac price, as it is now a value title on the other platforms.

id and Blizzard have the right idea - support multiple platforms and code them all at the same time. This forces more discipline in how everything is coded.

16. mtvalenzuela macrumors newbie

There is some evidence, unreliable (Amazon.co.uk)and a reliable (can't remember the website) UT3 is coming out March 16th. however i think we might see the Second Coming or Hell Freezes Over before that happens.

17. socamx macrumors 6502

Update on UT3 Mac/Linux status from Ryan Gordon:
    http://www.beyondunreal.com/view_story.php?id=12580

Don't use websites like Amazon for release dates. Amazon just picks dates out of the sky and applies them to unreleased products as a placeholder, they keep pushing the date back when their fake date gets close.

Unless information comes from the horse's mouth (Ryan Gordon), anything websites publish is largely lies/rumors.

There's no conspiracy or anything, just taking a really long time.

18. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

Theres been lots of posts about UT3 for Mac here already.. And to be blunt, the situation hasn't changed since last time this was asked.
    It is, or was known to be in the works. But Epic don't tell anyone if this is still the case or not. Ask them on their forums if you like :)
    But they are about as helpful as.. well, something that isn't very helpful at all.

But yes, as someone else already said, Epic did release UT3 Patch 2.0 and the Titan Expansion pack a week ago. And it's brilliant! If you are able to run Windows via Bootcamp.. Get this game! It finally has a good amount of players online now.
    Theres still the odd little bug here n there.. But it's really worth playing now.

I seem to be notorious on there these days :D Look for "ThePop"

19. socamx macrumors 6502

Just to continue what Luap stated and summarize:

1. Don't believe websites that publish anything without direct quotations/sources from Ryan Gordon and/or Epic Games.
    2. Don't expect it to run well on anything less than a very, very recent Mac.
    3. Don't hold your breath.

See my previous post here for the latest Gordon has to say on the subject.

20. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

Funny you should mention that.. Look what I just stumbled across just now!
    http://www.beyondunreal.com/view_story.php?id=12580

21. socamx macrumors 6502

That's what I was referring to in my post before yours, guess you just missed the link in it.

22. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

Sorry, yes I missed it, as I had read it before it was edited.

Anyway, nice to know its still in the works.

23. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

Just FYI...

If you buy the game for OS X when it comes out you can also play it in WINDOWS via Steam. Steam will let you (for UT3) type in the retail box key of UT3 and digitally download it. So you will get the best of both worlds if you buy it for OS X and Windows. I'd suggest holding out a little more. Thats what I'm doing. UT3 isn't going anywehre lol.. it's too old.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Uh, maybe. They let you do this with the PC version but who's to say it will work with the OSX version? You paid for the Mac port - not the PC version. For the same reasons I can't buy GTA IV for PS3 and expect a PS3 version as well.
    It would be nice if they did this however.