iPod Utilities for tiger

n8fry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2005
san jose
I installed tiger and all was fine and then started having problems with it slowing down. When I put in my norton it wouldn't work. I went to symantec and found they don't have a version for tiger yet. Anyone know where I can find a utility for tiger. I am having some major fragmention problems since I can't use a utility to fix it. Help ! :confused:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
n8fry said:
I installed tiger and all was fine and then started having problems with it slowing down. When I put in my norton it wouldn't work. I went to symantec and found they don't have a version for tiger yet. Anyone know where I can find a utility for tiger. I am having some major fragmention problems since I can't use a utility to fix it. Help ! :confused:
What kind of work are you doing? I thought that the generally accepted view was that, unless you are using very, very large files (~ gigabytes), de-fragmentation is not necessary in OS X, because the disk is de-fragged on the fly.

Is there a specific reason you believe fragmentation is the issue? How full is your disk? Norton and Symantec are generally considered garbage-ware around here. :rolleyes: It might be that you have a different kind of issue altogether.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
You might need more RAM, otherwise check in Activity Monitor to see if a process has stalled.

n8fry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2005
san jose
ram has dissapeared

I think I figured it out. I installed 512 more ram and was working fine but looked at system profiler and the ram has dissapeared, and it says the slot is empty, any thoughts or suggestions?