Utilities Gone

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 93BlackSVT, Nov 10, 2010.

1. 93BlackSVT macrumors member

Hi guys. I just went to review some of the settings on my Mac by going to "About this Mac" > More Info. However, the "More Info..." button was greyed out. I figured I would get there through the Utilities folder (within Applications), but that is gone as well. I know it was there earlier. Do Macs have any kind of "system restore" like a Windows machine? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you have Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (on any Mac since 9-10/2009) you can just pop in the DVD and reinstall Mac OS X without losing your data.

3. 93BlackSVT thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I do have Snow Leopard; it's brand new as of two days ago.
    Thanks for the info! I'll do that first thing when I get home. Can I just pop the disc in and it will walk me through it or is there anything else I need to know before I start?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It is straight forward.
    Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Installation and Setup Guide

You just pop in the DVD, let it start, press on "Install Mac OS X" and off you go.

Strange though, that after two days of usage you already have a frelled up system. Is it a new Mac or a second-hand Mac?

5. 93BlackSVT thread starter macrumors member

It's new. I think it may have been my own doing though. Oh well...only one way to learn right? :D

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Several ways, but if no data of yours has been compromised, why not. I did learn Windows that way back in 93 or so.

Also have a look at the following links to learn more about Mac OS X:

7. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

You may have "cleaned up" the utilities folder by accident--so that would certainly take care of getting rid of everything in it--essentially uninstalling them. Live and learn--should be easy to fix. :)