Utility to add boot menu to unflashed PC Vid cards?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by slughead, Sep 22, 2016.

1. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

I was wondering if anyone with a cMP has tried this utility which allows external GPU users (nMP/MacMini/iMac/Macbook + TB enclosure + PC Vid card) to use external PC video cards.

Apparently you boot off a USB stick and it somehow injects code into your boot process, not only allowing use of these cards but doing so over thunderbolt.

I want to upgrade my 7970 (EFI) to a EVGA GTX980 (PC) I have just obtained and that $180 flashing service by MacVidCards is a little steep.

egpu Screenshot.jpg

2. netkas macrumors 65816

What MVC sells for 180$ is not compatible with egpu.

But what he doesn't sell yet is years ahead of this demo. Sadly nmp holds us back so far.

3. slughead thread starter macrumors 68040

slughead

eGPU apparently uses non-Flashed cards and gets boot screens over TB. I was wondering if this utility could be used to do the same for internal non-flashed graphics cards.

4. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

If this utility can get a boot screen for the eGPU, most likely because the boot screen is coming from the internal GPU's EFI. So, for internal non flashed GPU, there should be no other EFI source to provide boot screen.

5. slughead thread starter macrumors 68040

slughead

Well poop.

6. nando4 macrumors regular

Given the way it works, it's well worth asking goalque to add internal non-flashed graphics card support. From https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/10057-automate-egpu-efi-mac-bootscreen-on-egpu/: