Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sfscott

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
I just installed a Crucial SSD in my MBP.

I'm interested is benchmarking its performance. Is there a simple (free) tool to do so? Sort of like a speedtest.net for disk ops?

Off1c3r

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2011
I just installed a Crucial SSD in my MBP.

I'm interested is benchmarking its performance. Is there a simple (free) tool to do so? Sort of like a speedtest.net for disk ops?

I am still new to apple products, but my program of choice has always been seagate seatools, but you would have to run it in a Dos or windows instance because I am pretty sure it won't run in a mac environment.

sfscott

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
Downloaded Disk Speed Test--results

Getting about 230MB/sec write and 260MB/sec read on a mid-2010 MBP, which I assume has SATA II at 3GB/sec data transfer rate.

Is this what I should be getting on a Crucial M4/512GB? I did install the version 009 firmware.

Also, what is the typical boot time on a HDD vs. a SSD? I never paid attention before, and I can't remember what it was like. By my counting 1000-1, etc. it's taking about 30 sec to boot up, of which a lot of time seems to be gray screen. Is that hardware self-test.

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
Under OSX Disk Speed Test is best. I get ~480 read/write with OCZ Vertex 3 MI and OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G.

Under bootcamp Windows 7 ATTO Disk Bench is standard. I've only tested OCZ Vertex 3 MI and get better scores (with AHCI enabled) for 551/517 read/write.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.