Utility to test SSD performance?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sfscott, Sep 30, 2011.

1. sfscott macrumors member

I just installed a Crucial SSD in my MBP.

I'm interested is benchmarking its performance. Is there a simple (free) tool to do so? Sort of like a speedtest.net for disk ops?

2. Off1c3r macrumors newbie

I am still new to apple products, but my program of choice has always been seagate seatools, but you would have to run it in a Dos or windows instance because I am pretty sure it won't run in a mac environment.

3. Quinoky macrumors regular

Quinoky

There's an application in the Mac App Store called "Disk Speed Test". That should do the job. :)

4. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

5. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

he's asking about for his SSD... i use the disk speed test mentioned above.

6. sfscott thread starter macrumors member

Downloaded Disk Speed Test--results

Getting about 230MB/sec write and 260MB/sec read on a mid-2010 MBP, which I assume has SATA II at 3GB/sec data transfer rate.

Is this what I should be getting on a Crucial M4/512GB? I did install the version 009 firmware.

Also, what is the typical boot time on a HDD vs. a SSD? I never paid attention before, and I can't remember what it was like. By my counting 1000-1, etc. it's taking about 30 sec to boot up, of which a lot of time seems to be gray screen. Is that hardware self-test.

7. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

Under OSX Disk Speed Test is best. I get ~480 read/write with OCZ Vertex 3 MI and OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G.

Under bootcamp Windows 7 ATTO Disk Bench is standard. I've only tested OCZ Vertex 3 MI and get better scores (with AHCI enabled) for 551/517 read/write.

8. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

any idea why i get only 80 write 470 read with my vertex 3 in a mini i7 ?!

(apples diskspeedtest)