uTorrent Encryption

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nope7308, Dec 20, 2008.

1. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Quick question about encryption with uTorrent Beta for Mac...

Under preferences, there is the option to 'Force' outgoing encryption. Now, does this also encrypt incoming connections as well? I'm worried that my ISP will limit bandwidth if it can detect the P2P packages.

I'm not very knowledgeable on these matters, so please go easy :)

Thanks!

2. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

From what I understand, uTorrent will not ignore unencrypted incoming connections. Blocking these connections can have a big impact on dl speed. In the windows version of uTorrent it does not recommend blocking unencrypted incoming connections. When I used uTorrent for windows without blocking unencrypted incoming, I got throttled down to about 10 Kb/s both up and down.

I use transmission because I prefer to block them as my isp throttles bad so I get better speed if they are blocked. I am also a canadian. Most canadian isps are heavy on the throttling so I would recommend trying out transmission as well to see which is better given your isp. Note, it will often take a month or so before you get throttled so try both for quite some time.

Also change the port you use to something random between 42000-60000 as most isp in canada throttle the default bittorrent ports and default ports of bt client software regardless of what kind of bandwidth traffic is being used with those ports.

3. nope7308 thread starter macrumors 65816

nope7308

Hmm, so does that mean outgoing encryption won't help? Speaking of which, that reminds me of something...

I received a warning from my old ISP cautioning me for 'borrowing' a particular file via torrents. At the time, I was using transmission, but I don't know if I had encryption enabled.

Will the current uTorrent Beta protect against future 'warning letters' if I enable/force the outgoing encryption? Is not, if there a torrent program that will?

I never had any warnings when I used uTorrent for windows.

4. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

In canada, encrypting only outgoing generally doesn't help prevent throttling in my experience.

Most canadian isps protect their clients with a privacy policy that prevents them from disclosing who you are to third parties but they will give you a warning as there are other ways you can be caught that don't require you being tracked through your isp.

If you are partaking in such activities, I would recommend encryption for both up and down. Use the blocklist feature. Also, use peer exchange, with peer exchange no tracker is involved so it is harder to know what you are dl'ing. I don't think uTorrent Mac has all these features.

Transmission has all these features. Even though it slows your dl, transmission prefers peer exchange which helps but doesn't make you totally uncatchable. With such activities there is always a chance of being caught.

5. nope7308 thread starter macrumors 65816

nope7308