uTorrent for MacOSX

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dckj95, Nov 26, 2008.

1. dckj95 macrumors member

2. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

3. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

I started it up a few minutes ago and it is faster than anything else i have used. I was downloading at an average of 700k/s when transmission gives me 200 at the most. I am very impressed so far.

4. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I don't do illegal downloading anymore (haven't for a long time). I do remember loving uTorrent so so much when I used Windows, though, so I downloaded it as soon as I got the email (Instantly, thanks to the push on my iPod ;)). Haven't had a chance to test it out, though.

5. dckj95 thread starter macrumors member

exactly utorrent is awesome! i will give u extra speed out of nowhere. :D

and the windows version rocks too!

6. stomer macrumors 6502a

One thing that I like about Transmission is that it doesn't saturate my connection. My wife can still view webpages.

When I used to use Azureus and uTorrent on my now defunct Windows box, I would often receive complaints that the 'internet was slow'.

So if the extra speed comes at the expense of saturating my internet connection, then I'll probably pass on uTorrent.

7. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

What router do you have? If it will let you tweak QoS you should do that. If you dont know what im talking about shoot me a pm and we'll get you squared away.

8. stomer macrumors 6502a

I have a WRT54G with patched firmware. I did set certain IPs to have higher QOS priority than the IPs of my torrent downloading machines but it never made an iota of difference. VOIP simply calls weren't possible whilst using Azureus or uTorrent on Windows.

I'm now using Transmission on my Mac now, I don't have the above problems, and I'm more than happy with the speed of my torrent downloads. Thanks for the offer though.

9. whatevs macrumors newbie

are the latest versions of utorrent still suspicious? I stopped upgrading my windows version when it became corporate.

10. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

can more confirm that uTorrent is faster? i rly like the minimalistic Transmission, so i would only move to uTorrent if its faster... i think Transmission has issues with speed

11. ruku macrumors member

just downloaded 350 mb in 4 minutes. connection speed was 1.5MB/S. pretty swanky.

12. TSE macrumors 68030

Miro is my preferred Mac OS X Torrent software.

13. dckj95 thread starter macrumors member

Transmission definitely has problems with speeds. i got 20kb/s with Transmission but with uTorrent i get 200kb/s. its really faster. :D

14. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I use this all the time on Windows.
    Good to know that it will be out for Mac when I am finally able to switch.
    Come on Mac Mini upgrade/price drop!!!

HOLY SHITTTT~~!!!
    I never get anywhere near that in the Windows version.

15. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

I have a wrt54g with dd-wrt installed and i have no issues with torrents. I have bittorrent set to Bulk in QoS and http, html, and ftp set to premium. Ive never used viop though so i cant comment on that.
    Good luck with whatever you do.

Can someone do me a favor? When you are running uTorrent open up Activity Monitor and see how much of your cpu it is using. For some reason it jacks both cores up to 90-100 all the time. My fan has yet to kick into high gear so i dont think its hurting anything, but im still a bit concerned.

16. bier-meister macrumors regular

No RSS yet :(
    I have a 10 year old laptop sitting in the corner of a room running 24/7 with just utorrent running on it. Never have to touch it as the RSS feeds automate everything, once this is included in the mac verion I can finally retire the old machine :)

17. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

I'm thinking about switching to uTorrent cause when i'm downloading, transmission make my connection really slow...:(