Utorrent overheats mac sometimes!!! weird

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chuckm1020, Mar 27, 2010.

1. chuckm1020 macrumors regular

As long as i have been a mac user i have used utorrent. i recently got a new MBP 2.8ghz. before this i had a core2duo mac mini. i just noticed i am having a very weird issue. i recently downloaded istat pro to monitor temps on my comp. i tested very high cpu task and it sits at like 83-85C with the fans automatically ramping up to around 4100rpms. Witch seems about normal from what i have been reading. On utorrent i noticed something weird last night. in the activity manager it started using 100% cpu usage about. i went to go monitor the temps when it was doing that. the cpu went all the way to 97C and it never adjusted the fans. it stayed at about 2000rpms on both fans. so i exited utorrent so it wouldn't go any higher. im guessing 97C for the cpu wasn't bad for the computer right?? since it had another 13C before the comp would shut itself off? just worry about my new comp :p haha. but anyways, why would it do this? doesn't make any sense at all. i uninstalled utorrent and installed bitorrent and it didn't use bearly any cpu usage. but the interface was horrible. so i deleted that and i have no client on my comp right now. any help is appreciated. thankyou :)

2. chuckm1020 thread starter macrumors regular

Ah crap. I just did another test. just playing a simple 720p youtube hd video the cpu got all the way to 90c and the fans still never adjusted to cool it down. so i guess its not a utorrent thing, but it used to work just fine to cool everything down. all this testing is with the 9600gt on

3. Pax macrumors 6502a

Wow, that's hard to read.

When your CPU hits 105 C it will throttle its clock to cool down, it won't shut down til 125 C.

Steve prefers quiet computers to cool computers. The fan algorithm allows the CPU to go right up to near the Intel spec limit for a couple of minutes, then the fans kick in to pull it down to about 85-95 C. At least on the uMBPs.

On my 13" for full CPU load it goes
    - fan stays at 2000 rpm but start to ramp up at about 95 C
    - CPU tops out at about 103 C
    - CPU sits there for 1-2 mins, fan ramps up more
    - CPU drops to about 95 C with fan at 3000-3500 rpm
    - fan changes speed to keep CPU around 95 C (fan moves between 3000 & 3500 rpm)

no damage, no problem. Lots of people debate on here whether that shortens the CPU life. But that's what the fan algorithm does. If you don't like it, you can download smcfancontrol or another to speed up the fan manually.

So your behaviour is normal. Whether it's ideal, is up for debate.

4. chuckm1020 thread starter macrumors regular

HaHa sorry about making it hard to read. i had a hard time reading that myself. it was a little difficult explaining it. Ok, so i guess it was safe to be at 97C. But the thing i dont get is that a day earlier while watching another 720p hd video on youtube, it started ramping fan speeds up at 84C.

5. chuckm1020 thread starter macrumors regular

So i did a little more research and some more test. it seems to stay below 84C or about around there when using the 9400m. when using the 9600gt thats when it can reach nearly 100c or more. when using the 9400 itll ramp the fans up to around 2600rpms when around 80ish. when using the 9600gt the fans still stay at 2000ish all the way to 100c then i get scared and end the process haha. i was looking at another forum and saw alot of people having the same issue. but the thread was back in dec of 2008. i guess i could download fan control and tell what fan speed to use at certain temps. just seems kind of stupid that you have to download a program to make the fans work properly though. odd. any comments are appreciated. when i start playing WOW again i dont think itll be very safe to have cpu temps sitting at 100c for hours at a time??

6. Mindinversion macrumors 6502

Mindinversion

In WoW on my ex macbook [2.4Ghz 13", 4 Ghz] I absolutely *HAD* to run fan control [max fan RPM @ 72c] to keep it down around 72-74c. Without it temps went up into the 90c+ range easily, I hit 100+ a few times in Dalaran.

I read all the threads saying "just use it" and promptly threw their garbage out the window on that one. THEY aren't going to replace my machine if a badly binned processor goes poof on a whim ;) If you're not comfortable running high temps, don't. Replacing a fan i a LOT less expensive than replacing a processor

7. chuckm1020 thread starter macrumors regular

Quick question. I have 2 fans in my MBP because of the 9600gt graphics card. will fan control 1.2 just run both fans at the same speed?

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

Yes.

9. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

The MacBook Pro's fans don't kick in until it is very hot. At least thats what happens on my 13" uMBP. I think its so the computer can stay quiet for the max amount of time, and only turns on the fans when it REALLY needs to.

The bad thing about this in laptops is it gets really hot on your lap, sometimes to the point where you need to put it on a desk, put something between you and the computer or even take a short break from using your MacBook Pro:(

10. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Transmission.app behaves very similar. Not to worry.

11. Pax macrumors 6502a

Exactly as I said, there's a lot of debate about this subject on here. Me and Mindinversion could start a flame war, but to the OP at least you know now how the MBP is DESIGNED to behave (ie go up to 105). If you don't like that behaviour it's up to you to change it. Don't worry about having an "abnormal" Mac.

12. phoobo macrumors regular

Try Vuze

...uses about 10-15% on my mbp, never jumped much higher than that. Machine runs at 48 degrees C. Almost never hear the fans.

13. chuckm1020 thread starter macrumors regular

good to know that temp is normal haha. thanks for all your help everybody. i decided to just get smcfancontrol. great app so far. i put them at 2800rpms. im surprised how much cooler it stays leaving it at that rpm and i still cant here the laptop. now sitting at 40C on my lap. but of course with the 9400m activated instead of the 9600gt right now.

14. Crem macrumors newbie

Actually transmission has been great for me, uTorrent is the one thats given me problems in the past.

15. kawixsiyu macrumors member

I use vuze and suffer from the same thing as the TP. I think its just any of these apps really.