uTorrent shutting down internet

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pgurt2, Nov 29, 2011.

1. pgurt2 macrumors newbie

I'm new to Mac Forums so correct me if this is posted in the wrong forum

I've been downloading torrents for over a year with the same equipment (iMac 21") and the u/Torrent client.
    In the past downloading during the day slowed me down as one might expect But for the past two weeks while downloading my internet goes down and I cannot access any sites. The torrents download perfectly but once they are complete I have to shut everything down and reboot my router to get back on the net. I called the ISP and they suggested I get a new router which I did (Linksys WRT 320n). I'm still having the same problem. I live in Panama and use a company called Mobil Phone for my internet access. It transmits thru the airwaves to a receiver on my roof. Slow but usually consistent and had not had problems until recently.
    Anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Do a speedtest when nothing is running.

Set Torrent max upload speed to half of maximum uploading bandwidth.

3. flashflooder macrumors regular

This is usually due to uTorrent opening too many connections.

Try setting a hard limit in the preferences for "Maximum total (global?) connections". Set it low and keep bumping it up little by little until you start running into the problem again.

4. ddelapp macrumors newbie

I've had this problem in the past. I ended up buying a new router that could handle connections a bit better. Limiting the amount of connections is also a good way to fix it for now.

5. ArchiMark macrumors 6502

Some ISP's throttle back connections when it detects torrents used....there's article about it over at LifeHacker.com....not saying that yours is, but it could be....