utorrent worry

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by HappySnail, Feb 24, 2011.

1. HappySnail macrumors regular

I left my computer for about an hour and utorrent had suddenly loaded up with a load of torrents i didn't download, including 3 versions of windows 7, boardwalk empire (including the non-existant second series) and a load of other random stuff.
    Could this be a virus, I know it's not common but is possible? I don't see how any of these could have loaded by themselves, I deleted them all without really checking but even though some said they were completed and others half way through there seemed to be no evidence anything was actually downloaded in the downloads folder. It just seems odd how it could do that or why.

Cheers

2. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

A virus that does this on mac currently does not exist (no malicious mac viruses currently exist). I would guess it's more likely to be due to something like you went to some shady torrent websites and they tricked you into clicking links that you thought were something else but which actually were links that downloaded torrent files. Or something like that.

tl;dr it's not a virus

3. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

based on the post above i would recommend you to uncheck the box that says something like "open torrent automatically from (downloads)"

4. HappySnail thread starter macrumors regular

Ok thanks. Just panicked a little. Safari was closed and nothing added to the download folder it may have been a bad torrent that caused others to open but it was checked to be fine by others, as long as it's not serious that's fine. Thanks, i'll uncheck automatic torrent opening and hope it doesn't happen again.