utter n00b iphone q's

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thesheephair, Nov 13, 2007.

1. thesheephair macrumors member

Im very confused on this EDGE and GPRS things.

At the moment i have an orange contract that is 12 months free line rental on 12 month contract with 250 free mins and 75 free txts with cashback.

Now :

1. On an unlocked phone im under the assumption this works.....correct??

2. Is EDGE etc this internet surfing free? Or would i be charged or something on this contract??? rather not be charged as this contract is costing £0000000

3. in the apple store i used google earth , is this on the internet or is it built into the pones hard drive so when you have no internet access or anything oyu can still use it

2. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

If your current plan does not include data, then you won't be able to use edge for free on the iPhone.

The maps are not stored on the iPhone, they require data (EDGE or wi-fi) to work. They load from the web.

3. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I don't know the exacts for your first 2 questions since i don't live in the UK, but for the third question, you have to be on the internet using EDGE or WiFi.

4. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Even if it is stored on the phone it would need the Internet or else it would have to store all the data on the phone, which is not a logical solution. Google maps is on the phone itself but still needs Internet access to work sothat it ca get all its data off the interweb. =} hope that helps.