Utterly pathetic battery life on my Macbook.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mattcube64, Oct 2, 2007.

1. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Okay, here's the deal. I bought my Macboook a little over a year ago. I made sure to calibrate it the first day I got it.

Now, I'm no saint. I didn't calibrate it every single month. But I went through the cycle about once every two months or so.

Recently, I've realized my battery was dying WAY too soon. It had been a while since I last calibrated it. So, yesterday, I did just that.

Today, Coconut battery is saying my battery has gone through 257 cycles (which I can believe), but also that my battery is only holding/ has a health of a 48% charge.

That's ridiculous. I have my backlight on the lowest setting, and I can only expect to get an hour or so out of my computer. WTF?!

Of course, I'm out of warranty. Don't tell me I need to go drop $130 on a freaking battery. Am I missing something here?

EDIT: My expectations aren't super high, either. I realize I shouldn't expect a 100% capacity, and I also know it should die a wee bit faster than others because I put in a 7200RPM drive. But I've gone through 12% of my battery just typing this!

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Did you miss the battery replacement program? http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/04/27/apple-acknowledges-macbook-battery-problems
    Take it to an Apple store. I don't know if Apple is still replacing faulty batteries, but you should ask. They replaced my wife's MacBook battery. It wasn't out of warranty (we have AppleCare) but they didn't check - they did it no questions asked.

Oh, and remove Coconut Battery before bringing it in.

3. mattcube64 thread starter macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Hmm... thanks! That article says that they extended my battery's warranty for two years, so I should be good. However, do you have any idea where I can find the official statement from Apple (like, from their site) so I can show it to the Apple Genius if he doesn't know what I'm talking about.

Thanks!

4. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

Here ya go:

http://www.apple.com/support/macbook_macbookpro/batteryupdate/

They are MORE than aware of this issue. A simple call to Apple or a visit to the genius bar gets the same results. If you complain about your battery health and cycle count (especially if yours is at 48%....mine was at 87% when I called them) they'll gladly replace it. As a basis for comparison, I've had my new battery since May or June I believe. I've still got 100% health.

Don't sweat the factory warrenty either. As quoted from the link I provided you: "This program extends repair coverage on the battery for up to two years from the date of purchase of the computer for Intel Core Duo-based MacBook and MacBook Pro computers."

No big deal, give em a shout and you'll be set!