UUID requested to beta test app-- safe?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bayGFX, Mar 5, 2009.

1. bayGFX macrumors newbie

Hello, long-time lurker, first-time poster. I answered a call for beta testers on craigslist:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cpg/1060771489.html

The company, mode of expression, wants me to send the UUID on my device to allow me to download the beta. It sounds like it makes sense technically, but I thought I'd run it by savvier users than me. Does the UUID give anyone access to my Touch, or is it just for verifying that I'm allowed to install it? I hope it's okay, I'd really like to try the app!

Thanks for your help

2. iFerd macrumors 6502a

I've provided this information to another developer so I could beta test. I never gave it a second thought, though, so I don't know if there are any risks. I know I haven't had any trouble as a result, and it's been fun to have a chance to participate in the testing.

I am sure there isn't another way for you to do testing. They have to have that code. You'll also be loading a provisioning file that will allow you to run the beta software.

3. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

if you trust the developers, then yes it's safe. . .if not, be careful.

I refuse to accept adhoc copies for reviewing applications simply because developers could give me code that hasn't been approved by Apple yet. Which could add features, improve performance, or even steal content/information

4. pieomy macrumors newbie

I have given my UDID to several dev''s. Most noteably the Nicemac guys who are creating the Sirius XM App......so long as you trust the dev's youre good, but I dont see any risk in giving it to them