UVC Webcam - Logitech or HP?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Goldenbear, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Goldenbear macrumors regular

New Mac Mini is on order, yay! So now, I need a webcam, which is where you come in.

I've narrowed my choice down to either the Logitech QuickCam Vision Pro for Mac or HP GX607AA.

This will be used with the Mac Mini in a living room setup. The camera would probably be mounted above or below an LCD TV, which is on a swing-arm.

I'm leaning towards the Logitech, because it looks like the mounting would work better. I'm only considering it because it doesn't require the typical crappy Logitech drivers.

However, has anyone compared it to the HP? I've been told the HP webcams are very good.

Amazon only has 2 reviews of the HP, one good and one bad. Not really enough data points to go on, so I'd like some other input.

The Mac webcam site says the HP is the "best" one they've seen, but lists the Logitech as the #1 choice, not much help there.

2. PrincessPeach macrumors regular

Still no replies?

Have you considered something else? This is what I currently use after reading the reviews. Might be interesting with the setup you describe.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Definition-...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1236603046&sr=8-1

Aside from that idea I really don't like HP at all. Have heard the Logitech is ok but hate "perching" webcams so can't comment personally.

Anyway, bumping your topic with this reply.

3. Goldenbear thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, that isn't UVC compliant, so it require custom drivers. After years of agony dealing with horrid custom drivers (especially the absolutely craptacular ones from Logitech), I'm done with that.

I ended up ordering the Logitech, which is supposed to not require any custom drivers. I may also get the HP to compare and give the one I don't like to my sister ;)

4. skootercat macrumors newbie

Logitech did not work for me.

I came to M-R to find what web cam works for best for OSX. Running a G5 2.5 Dual, I have been through three (3) Logitech and none worked completely. Unfortunately, it took two (2) QuickCam 9000 to find it does not work on my Mac. Got no audio-out unless I hooked up a separate mic. Then I tried the for Mac version and the same situation persists.

Some tell me the Vision Pro for Mac works flawlessly on a Mac, but not on mine. What am I missing?

5. PrincessPeach macrumors regular

The Hue I linked to above definitely works with mic on a G5. I use it to chat to my little brother every weekend so I can vouch for that.

It's just a matter of whether you like the design I guess.