Uverse + Extreme + Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Gozar, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Gozar macrumors regular

Gozar

Looking for some advice from the more network knowledgable!

I have Uverse GigaPower with an RVG589 gateway and ordered a refurb AirPort Extreme AC and latest gen Airport Express.

My current set up is DVR, Uverse WAP to wireless receiver and a 24 port switch all plugged into the 589.
    I plan to turn off wireless, plug the Extreme into the 589 in bridge mode, them plug the Express into an Ethernet jack upstairs (which runs down to the 24 port switch) and extend the wireless network in the airport utility, will this work?

I would use IP pass through or Cascaded router but need the Uverse apps on our iPads to work with the receivers and this seems to require going directly (wired or wireless) to the 589.

Any thoughts or advice would be helpful, thanks.

2. Gozar thread starter macrumors regular

Gozar

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

So you have your RVG589 going to a Uverse WAP, a DVR, and finally a 24 port switch? In the switch is all the wiring in your building/home/workplace. You want to plug the Extreme into the switch on one port and the Express into another port on the switch. The Express will never be connected physically behind the Extreme?

If the Express isn't behind the Extreme, then it is not appropriate to set up the Express to extend the Extreme. Instead, you should configure the Extreme to create a wireless network, then save the profile in AirPort Utility, and set the Express to use that too but with a different base station name. Both should be set to "Create A Wireless Network" with identical names and passwords with both in Bridge Mode. The RVG589 will be the router in the network. Ensure you set different channels for each AirPort, or leave them in Automatic mode.

4. Gozar thread starter macrumors regular

Gozar

Thanks Altamose! The RVG has 4 gigabit ports, I was planning to plug the Extreme directly into 1 and then the Express upstairs (the house is wired with CAT5e) into a plug that runs down to the 24 port switch in the living room. So I will follow your advice to "create a wireless network" on both with identical settings in Bridge Mode, different base station names and Automatic mode for the channels.

They should both arrive Thursday.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

That should work great!

6. Gozar thread starter macrumors regular

Gozar

It did work great with the exception of the Express still having someone else's network settings......Geek Squad certified and tested my a$$! How can you test a router when you can't log into it?!?
    A hard reset and everything was up and running with much better coverage and speed than before, but I'm glad I bought the 2yr Extended Warranty on both.

Even though I came ahead on money and have 2yr warranties, I'd probably go Apple Refurbished next time.

Thanks for the spot on advice Altemose.

:apple:

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

No problem! Glad it worked!