Uverse or Direct TV

ivantwilliams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Has anyone made the jump from Uverse to Direct TV?
Is it worth it?

I have Uverse 300, with 45MB for internet. Currently, I feel we are paying a small fortune for it!
During the upgrade process to the iPhone Xs Max, ATT was trying to push Direct TV. Alas, I was focused on getting the iPhone upgrade completed, and now I am reviewing the options of Direct TV.

Thanks all

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
Has anyone made the jump from Uverse to Direct TV?
Is it worth it?

I have Uverse 300, with 45MB for internet. Currently, I feel we are paying a small fortune for it!
During the upgrade process to the iPhone Xs Max, ATT was trying to push Direct TV. Alas, I was focused on getting the iPhone upgrade completed, and now I am reviewing the options of Direct TV.

Thanks all
I wouldn't, especially if your area has ATT Fiber available. Your prices will jump tremendously after that initial period ends. We have UVerse 450, but our Internet access was still at 4Mbps down/1.5Mb up (We hadn't changed our service in years; we were the first in our area to get UVerse). We switched to DirecTV as they said we'd get Fiber from that, but were basically lied to, and told that our lower price would be ending after the initial period (12 months) ended. It would have been $20 more than what we were paying for UVerse 450. We canceled it 3 hours after the DTV installation was complete, as we never terminated UVerse. We kept it, dropped it down to the most basic channels, and bumped up our Net access to Fiber, and are paying LESS than what we would have with not only the DTV route, but with our original UVerse 450 plan.

Stay with UVerse, and get Fiber in. And no matter what their sales people tell you, they aren't discontinuing UVerse at any point in time. That's straight from their techs.

BL.

Gutwrench

Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
I used to have Comcast. It's awful in our area. I've been happy with UVerse, but I don't use my network like I used to (when I was doing podcasts).
I’ve heard that about Comcast’s quality. For reliability and speed I’d rate them exceptional in my neighborhood. If I should move across town, who know then. Haha.

Reactions: AlliFlowers

Gutwrench

Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
Yep, we've been on "internet only" services for like 4 years + Comcast (specifically Business Class) without any other (home/non-cell) phone, TV, etc., service, everything via AppleTVs (occasionally other devices).
You’re singing my song. I’ve been this way for 1 to 1.5 years. (I do spring for Hulu for live sports.) My viewing habits might be in the minority but I’m very pleased with my services. I love putting the televisions wherever I want them and not having to run coax to them.

Reactions: ivantwilliams

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
You’re singing my song. I’ve been this way for 1 to 1.5 years. (I do spring for Hulu for live sports.) My viewing habits might be in the minority but I’m very pleased with my services. I love putting the televisions wherever I want them and not having to run coax to them.
Yeah, not having cabling concerns is a nice side perk!

I also like that our shows/movies/content is all totally portable, vs. being tied to a street address. Whenever we go down to The Keys, or up to PA for a long-er-ish visit, we toss an Apple TV in a bag (the device/remote/cables take up less room than a pair of shoes), and all we need is an internet connection on the other end to have Hulu/Netflix/Prime/HBOGO/all the movies we own in MA/Vudu/iTunes/GP.

Reactions: Gutwrench

ivantwilliams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I certainly appreciate all the feedback.
A moment ago, I left the ATT shop, and I will remain with UVerse. However, I will look into fiber.

Apparently, fiber is available in my area. But, ATT computers are being updated so they cannot give me pricing or speeds. LOL Priceless...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.