Uverse

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by oldhifi, Mar 3, 2013.

1. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

I am on Bellsouth DSL now and I plan to get Uverse, are you happy with it?

2. griefrev macrumors member

I switched several years ago when it became available in my neighborhood and have been pretty happy. My download speed is much faster and I haven't had many problems with outages. I'm only using TV and Internet; I kept my landline because when there are power outages in my neighborhood they are for several days- the battery backup would run out and I'd be without a phone.

3. ToomeyND macrumors 6502

I had it for about a month. My home was at the very end of a potential service area. It required copper for the last couple miles to get to my house. The service was very spotty. All that said, it was only month2month, so it really didn't harm me in any way. During that month of lousy internet, I actually said to myself on multiple occasions that ATT seemed to have really upped its customer support. They were very pleasant to deal with.

As noted from my first couple sentences, my case is somewhat unique. Odds are good that you live closer to one of their main hubs and will have few issues. Everyone I know that has it is generally happy with it.

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Yes. Downlink is slower but still more than I need, uploads are a bit skimpy, less than I'm used to with Comcast. But it's rock solid, I don't think it's been down once in the admittedly short 2 years I've had it... unlike with Comcrap.

18/1.5

5. oldhifi thread starter macrumors 65816

oldhifi

I live way out in the woods, so DSL was great when I got it..but now they are bringing Uverse to my neighborhood, so I would like to get off the Dish, they just keep raising my bill each month..

6. troy14 macrumors 6502a

We have had U-Verse for a little over a year and a half now, switched from Comcast when a door-to-door salesman "convinced" us. We did get a great promo rate for a year and also got a lot of cash back in the form of Visa rewards cards. (Like $300 including starz/showtime cards!) We have the U-300 with the fastest internet we can get at my house, 18down/2.5up I think is the speed.

I will say - it depends on your household. We are somewhat satisfied with it. We are one of the furthest houses from their hub so we cannot get the fastest internet, and another big thing is that we can only get 2 or 3 HD streams at one time MAX. Our house has 4 HD TVs. If I record a show on the DVR, my brother records one or watches one, that leaves either 1 or no HD streams left, sure you could watch a standard definition but it doesn't look that great. I've heard the HD quality sucks as it's highly compressed but I'm not a huge quality nazi so it is fine for our viewing. If I wanted to record 2 shows at once, that leaves virtually no wiggle room for anyone else in our house to watch HD t.v whether it be recording their own HD shows or watching them live. It really is a hassle.

If it's just you, or maybe you and a girlfriend/wife, I think you would most likely be okay. Also if don't use DVR or something. You have to look at how many shows you would record or watch live at one point.

Another thing they don't really tell you is that your line coming in is just one big line to be shared by your TVs and Internet/Computers. That means if you have all your HD streams going, your internet speed will suffer. I've read anywhere between 2-6 MBits a HD stream takes out of your speed. I haven't done any official benchmarks and I can say that my internet speeds aren't that great when we have all our TVs on.

The service itself is great, I don't notice any HD problems/compression and I have never had any service outages, not even one. The total home DVR is awesome, I really enjoy it.

You might ask why we keep it vs Comcast or satellite, well, because of the price. While the rewards card cash/promo period expired, we called and asked what they could do about our bill because it shot up so high $$. We are paying $121 (after taxes!) for U-300 (includes starz/showtime!), 4 HD boxes, and the total room DVR, and our internet as well. Nobody else can even come remotely close to that price. Would we prefer Comcast, yes, but to get similar packages it would be well over $200 a month.

7. oldhifi thread starter macrumors 65816

oldhifi

I would luv to get that speed..I have Dish now and with my phone bill is $240 a month, so Uverse will be less than $200 a month..

I just hope I can reconnect all my Netflix, Apple TV, computers, etc. with no problems..and thanks for your reply!

8. troy14 macrumors 6502a

I have a Netgear ReadyNAS, Apple TV 2, Macbook Pro, iMac, Mac Mini, 2 iPhones, Galaxy S3, 2x Windows laptops, 1x PC, 2x xbox 360, 1 PS3, PS Vita, 2x iPads, and 2x Epson WiFI printers all connected to the gateway. I wanted an increase in range so I went and got an Apple Airport Extreme. It took a little bit of extra set up with the airport extreme and the u-verse gateway, but eventually everything works and i've had no complaints or issues.

Are they not offering any promotions? Unless you are getting a lot of premium channels it seems like it should be well under $200

9. oldhifi thread starter macrumors 65816

oldhifi

yes I am getting the u450 for less than <$200 month, + MLB program and a $200 CC, locked for 24 months

10. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I had UVerse way back in the beginning, but had to get rid of it when I moved. I will be moving to a new apartment complex that is UVerse exclusive. My only concern is if there is a data limit. I was going to get ATT DSL in my current apartment until I noticed there was a usage cap, similar to an iPhone or iPad plan. Is this the case with UVerse?

Thanks!

11. troy14 macrumors 6502a

There technically is, but I don't think AT&T enforces it. It was a concern about mine too and our family hasn't come close to the cap (?we download a lot of stuff)

12. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Great, thank you.

13. oldhifi thread starter macrumors 65816

oldhifi

Uverse

15.51 Mbps download, 1.45 Mbps upload

I am verrrrry happy!:p

14. Maddix macrumors member

You need to visit GRC.com and do a UPnP Exposure Test.

15. oldhifi thread starter macrumors 65816

oldhifi

yep it passed, thanks