V E R Y weird hardware problem...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by haiggy, Apr 18, 2008.

1. haiggy macrumors 65816

Ok, so I was just playing a game of WC3 and the game ended, and I pressed Apple+M to minimize the game window and I was greeted with the following:

No idea what happened or how.... the screen went crazy with all of these random graphics (most of them aren't even from the WC3 game itself). I tried to force quit, and then 10 seconds later I saw the Force Quit window at a very low resolution upside down at the far left of my screen. My music in iTunes didn't stop playing, I was able to take screenshots. A force reboot just turned the screen grey and did not restart. I had to hold down the power button to turn it off and turn it back on. It seems fine now... I'm just quite worried.

I've noticed that programs like to unexpectedly quit a lot more... well in particular Safari and Ventrilo have been giving me problems since I upgraded to Safari 3.1.1. They'll cause a short 'freeze', things kinda become unresponsive and then jump back to as they were. Sometimes my computer feels slower when using Safari now (or keeping it open) I know it's a memory hog but I used to leave it open all the time and it would be fine.

Does anybody have any idea what this is? Did the video card just overheat?

Attached Files:

2. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

If i were you, I'd return it, looks like a faulty graphics chip or faulty video memory which are surfaced mounted on the logicboard..

Hmm... curious, does it occur in any other graphic heavy applications?

4. haiggy thread starter macrumors 65816

This laptop is 11 months old bought from Apple online... do you think I would have noticed the faulty chip sooner? Why did it choose to be a problem now? I have all my stuff backed up (on time machine!) so maybe I could take it in and they could what... give me a new one? There technically isn't anything to fix at this point.

5. haiggy thread starter macrumors 65816

Haha, no acid taken at all.. you can see for yourself that it's clearly in the screenshots.

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Faults can develop overtime.. doesn't have to appear right away, that's why manufactures give you 12 months warranty on the hardware.

My machine is approximately eight months old and I'm getting the TFT replaced because it's developed a odd fault.. Now if it can happen to a TFT, it could happen to the logic-board, no?

Though, having said that. It could be your machine is so busy it's taking a while for it to refresh the graphics....

7. haiggy thread starter macrumors 65816

I know it could be possible. I just e-mailed an Apple Reseller in town since we don't have an official Apple store and I'm going to see what they have to say.
    Thanks

Anybody else have any ideas?