V iPhone, replacement fees

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by winty03, Feb 28, 2011.

1. winty03 macrumors regular

Good Morning guys,

Got a question for you, or advice. I got my Verizon iPhone pre ordered on the 3rd of Feb. I have been having some issues with the proximity sensor on my phone. I have had the phone for about 25 days and about 5 to 10 times I have had times where my cheek, when on a call, has started to dial numbers or turned on the speaker phone, I called this AM to talk to Verizon and they ended up transferring me to Apple support. I have done a restore on the phone back to original "factory settings" and still expierenced the issue. Apple promptly set me up with an express replacement, since an Apple store is 3 plus hrs away. My concern is all the "small print" and fees they send with the status email. It tells me if they are unable to replicate the issue I will be charged on my credit card, diagnosis fees and shipping fees. What my concern is...it’s did it 5 to 10 times over 25 days of constant use. Are they just straight out replacing the phone or do I have to worry or be concerned with fees that may be applied to my credit card? I have not had any issues before dealing Apple and my MBP I had issues with. But the status email seemed to have soo many fees attached to it. Any insight you guys could give me?

2. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Someone calls you before they charge you anything. You get that same legal disclaimer no matter the service.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Dont worry about those, they're there to cover their butt.
    Apple is really good with replacements and Applecare warranty.
    As long as there's no physical damage or liquid damage they will send you another one without a prob.

4. patp Guest

i wouldn't worry about that small print. they usually just take care of you and wouldn't spend a ton of time on your defective phone.

Too bad you're so far away from an Apple store. Nothing beats walking in and walking out with a new phone in 10 minutes.

I really don't think you'll have any issues w/ Apple.

5. winty03, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011

winty03 thread starter macrumors regular

I would say "damage " to the phone...nothing more than "normal use". There is a scuff or mark I am assuming from contact with zipper in and out of my jacket's pocket. But if I give the phone to someone and ask them to look for damage, it would take them 20 plus seconds to find. I hope I am ok...just reading through all small print and like ...whole crap. I am SOL. I agree Apple has been outstanding on issues or warrenty claims I have had in past...and I agree Apple store are Freaking awsome!! Treated VERY well in store, I had my MBP in there for a key that had scuff on it, and wanted to get the key replaced...since it was soo new...don't remember the time frame, they said we will just get you a new MBP out of box.

Here a picture of the ONLY marks on the phone...
    [​IMG]

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You'll be fine I think.
    Dont get scared because of that email, I did get it too a week ago when I send in mine for replacement and got a little nervous.
    They had it in and shipped back a replacement to me within 3 days.

7. winty03 thread starter macrumors regular

I did an Express Replacement option, where they put a hold of $599 for cost of current phone, and are sending out a replacement phone. Therefore I would not be without a cell, since I use for business. He even waived the $29 fee for using that service without having AppleCare on the device. I just don't want to get a surprise of random fees charge to credit card for the device swap out. Where in store I would have a bit more control, and would be in and out. I know they will not just push the charges through without contacing me, its just when I read through all small print I seen about 4 5 fees possible of 100 plus! And hoping all goes smooth and well.

I guess my main concern is, with an intermitted problem (5 to 10 times happening)...this small print

Apple may charge you a diagnostic fee, including shipping charges, of no more than one hundred ($100) dollars US, plus applicable tax, if Apple inspects your product and determines based on the inspection that the product does not require service.

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Again, as others have said, they won't charge you without contacting you first. If they deem the phone outside of warranty or need to charge you for any fees, they'll call/email you and tell they they're going to charge you for it. If you don't want to be charged, tell them, they'll send your phone back, you'll send their phone back, and everyone will be good.

9. winty03 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys for the info. Ya not sure what I am doing or why its doing it.....but randomly the screen will trun on when I have it near my cheek and usually hits speaker phone. So we will give it another go round with the replacment phone...suppose to be here this AM, I am sure everything will be fine. Just hell of a disclaimer, but like you guys say..got to cover their butts!