V-Moda - I've given up

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Yossarian, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Yossarian macrumors member

I've just returned my 3rd pair of broken V-Moda Vibe Duo (iphone) headphones to the apple store (regent street) and this time they said they would not give me another pair as they no longer display or stock that product due to the volume of returns. I take pretty good care of headphones and i've 'broken' 3 pairs, the build quality is appalling.

They gave me a refund so i'm looking for similarly priced iphone headphones which MUST have the little call button on them. Has anyone tried these:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/TR530?mco=NzY2ODg0

(Sennheiser MM 50 iP)

Or an alternative recommendation?

Thanks.

2. jhkaplan macrumors regular

I dont have an answer for you, but I'd like to share some similar frustration. I'm on my 3rd pair of V-Moda's. The both the first and second pair started to have one of the buds cut out and go silent. I'm currently waiting for VModa to send me my 3rd pair of replacement headphones. Their process takes so long, so right now i'm without any headphones (new puppy chewed up the OEM iPhone headphones).

Anyone thinking about buying the Vibe Duo's, beware. They sound great, but dont seem to last more than a month or two.

3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

V-Moda is crap. I think my $129 head phones lasted ummm 7 days. I will never buy them again. THEE absolutely more hideous quality

4. harry454 macrumors 6502

yup fully agree with you, I got my pair about a week and half later one ear piece broke and wasnt as loud as the other one, and just request warrenty repair from there, ill let you know how that goes

5. Espo macrumors 6502

I just sent my vide duos in for warranty replacement. The mic is made up of two pieces and they disconnected. And the sound would cut in and out when the wire was moved. I sent them in (accepted at vmoda Friday) so now I'm waiting replacement. I'm very upset to hear all these issues, and am becoming skeptical. Has anyone gone through warranty? How long did it take to get them back? I'm in NY.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Shrug, mine have worked flawlessly since I got them several months ago.

7. Yossarian thread starter macrumors member

I didn't mind them breaking all the time as the Apple Store is near my workplace and they would always just hand over a shiny new pair with no problems. So I was planning to do that for a year until the warranty was up and buy something else... it is a shame as they sound excellent.

8. fastbite macrumors 6502a

fastbite

same problems here, return mine twice. They are crap.

9. Jocko macrumors member

Geez I'm still on my first pair. Although they sound so bad, I kinda wish they would break. Well maybe not until after Nuforce gets their headphones to market.

10. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

my v-moda's have worked *mostly* fine since i got them in october. my only gripe is that my right ear will get shocked occasionally. i'm guessing it's static electricity that discharges occasionally, but it's quite annoying and a bit painful. i've submitted a warranty repair/exchange request to v-moda, so we'll see what happens...

11. bstpierre macrumors 6502

Mine too. I bought mine in lieu of getting a third OEM earbud.

12. meglet macrumors member

meglet

Not sure if you've picked up some headphones since you posted, but I finally got my Sennheiser MM50 iP's today so I thought I'd post, since there's very little info on these.

I switched from Sony EX-51/EX-71 headphones to the mm 50. They sound similar but better than the Sonys. I switched the included ear cuffs from the MM 50s for the ones I used on my Sonys, as the MM 50 set is a bit tacky and had little bits of crap stuck to them just by taking them out of the box. Ick.

The MM 50 wires are very thin, and the whole set is extremely lightweight. They are even more comfortable than the Sonys. Also, the longer I wear and use them, the more I like them.

The cord is shorter than usual, which I like because I tend to catch the wires on stuff if there is too much extra. I put the Nano/iPhone in my right back pocket, and run the headphones up to my left ear, and the length is perfect.

Currently I'm using them with a Nano, but will be switching to the new iPhone when it is released. The answer/end/ff button works fine with my current 2G iPhone, but there is a noticeable hiss at low volumes sometimes. Also, I can not get the volume from the iPhone to go low enough (I listen at the office and need to be able to hear through them) but I think this is on the iPhone side, as the Sonys don't get as quiet as they do on the Nano either.

Overall, I like the headphones, and like them more after a day of use. I'm not sure they're really good enough to be $100 headphones, but certainly worth $50-75. Of course, the non-iPhone MM 50 headphones ARE $50, so there is a $50 "iPhone compatibility" charge tacked on to these.

13. Yossarian thread starter macrumors member

I hadn't yet picked up new ones so thanks for the info, i'll probably go for these ones. With the iphone being out for so long i find it surprising that there are so few options around.

14. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

Same here

15. Yossarian thread starter macrumors member

I noticed on a review (maybe on the apple store) that there was a design change to strengthen the bit where the wire connects to the jack itself. This was always the part that failed for me so maybe the "revision 2" ones are fine. The Regent Street apple store sales person told me there were no plans to restock them however.

16. meglet macrumors member

meglet

Just a note about the hiss I mentioned with the iPhone:

It only happens if the iPhone is on but no music is playing, or if the volume level is between off and about 1/4. For listening below 1/4 volume, I've found that hitting play, turning the volume up, and then turning it back down gets rid of the hiss.

Also, this seems to be a problem with the iPhone, not the MM 50 iP headphones, as I sometimes get the hiss using my other headphones too.

After adding a shirt clip (stolen from an old, wired cell headset) these have become my favorite headphones. They're really, really comfortable, even in my small ears, and they just sound "good." I just hear music, I don't feel like I'm listening to headphones, if that makes sense.

17. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

thanks for the sennheiser report, meglet. i've been interested in those since they were announced and haven't seen many reviews yet. i'll probably pick up a pair when i get my 3G iPhone.

18. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

finally...users see the light with some of the crappy made-for-iPhone headphones...

With that said, Shure MPA and you pick the Shure SE headphone. AND BEFORE ANYONE SAYS ANYTHING ABOUT THE CHORD BEING TOO LONG... search the forum or provide your own pics...because I have mine. There is a real advantage with these, if one part breaks you can replace it without losing all of it and if you want to upgrade you can.